Wheelbarrow

Chapter 9

   There's a reason it's called being the "third wheel". It just means you don't belong. Normally if my friends were awkward with each other and they needed a little extra support, I would be happy to help. But when it's someone who's like a brother to me, don't mess! I also might have been slightly jealous or upset.

   As we walked around town together, I found myself thinking of D.O. What will he think of me now? Will we still be friends? I slowly followed behind the naive couple as they pointed at the buildings or stores or clouds. I watched as Eun Mi's head slowly fell to Baekhyun's shoulder. Rage ran through me. 

   Just as I was about to go crazy, I felt someone grab my arm. I struggled to free from their grasp. I was scared.

  "Let GO!" I said just breaking free, but also hitting the person in the nose.

   I looked behind me to see D.O, holding his nose. I gasped at the sight. He looked like he was in pain.

   "I'm so-" I was shocked.

   He took his hands away from his nose and smiled. He wasn't hurt, at all. I sighed with relief and playfully hit him on the shoulder. I looked to see if Baekhyun and Eun Mi were watching, but they were nowhere in sight. Ah, the young couple is caught up in their stupid love.

   D.O grabbed my wrist and brought me back to the coffee shop where we originally met. I sat down and sighed with relief and slight annoyance at the thought of Baekhyun and Eun Mi's love. He had ordered brand new lattes for us to drink. How sweet.

   I tried to give him some money for the coffee thought he rejected it easily. I sighed and began sipping on the hot coffee. He smiled and stared at me while I drank the latte (not in a creepy way, but in an endearing way).

   We began to talk comfortably and I didn't have to think about impressing him. 

   "So the first day of school... Remember when you kind of saved my grades?" I asked.

   He laughed a little bit, remembering our first meeting. "Yeah. What about it?"

   "How did you have a key to the school?"

   "Oh yeah. My dad is the principal there... He gave me the key since I was late that first day..." He rubbed his neck.

   "Oh... I see" I smiled to comfort him.

   "So what's up with that Baekhyun guy?" He asked, kind of nervous.

   "Like I said before. We are childhood friends and-" He cut me off.

   "No I mean like why did he try to bring you along on his date?"

   "Umm... He thinks I'm... Lonely."

   "What does that mean?"

   "Since I've always spent time with him, he thought that I wouldn't have anyone since he started dating Eun Mi, so he wanted me to spend time with them, the three of us."

   "That's nice, but he went about it the wrong way."

   "What?"

   "He should have decided to date you. But I guess that means there's a chance for me."

   He smiled. Then left quickly because I think he was embarrassed. I was sort of shocked to hear that from him. I tried to think about the two of us, as a... couple. It wouldn't be too bad would it? Probably not...

   I walked back home and laid on my bed thinking about all the things that had happened. I replayed the day over and over in my head. I thought about D.O's last words.