ZERO: THE CURSED TREE

⌌             ⌍1600'𝘴⌎             ⌏

⌌ ⌍
1600'𝘴
⌎ ⌏

"Catch her!"

"Hang her!"

"She's a witch!" They all shouted and chased after the girl who was running away from the village. Rifles, sticks with fire, knives, they chased her with all those dangerous weapons. They all tried to bring the witch of the Village to die once and for all. She always escaped from their clutches, fleeing to another village and hiding there. Except, her secret would be found out once more anyways.

The girl who was fleeing from villages had a curse. Some used to consider it as a gift, when they thought it didn't exist. In the folklore, they'd envy the woman who had the desired beauty of everyone. The Perfect Girl, they named the people who had this 'gift'. She was indeed perfect. Every man who laid eyes on her bent to their knees, ready to give their everything to her.

But now that this so called gift was bestowed upon a certain bloodline, the woman of the Jung family, they fled for their lives every time someone shattered the beautiful mirror that hid their true self. The Ugliest Girl. They were now called. It was no gift. And it brought no pleasure. For some of the ancestors, it was such a pleasure. Any man bending to your will. How amazing it felt!

But as time passed on, it brought chaos and every step these women took, the fall of a small civilization came with them.

In the early 1600s, Jung Nara was now running away, her infant baby crying in the basket that she was uncomfortably rocking on. The men and women of the village were inching closer. She couldn't run her full speed because of her child.

"Stop, now!" Nara's head shot back in panic as she saw a man with a rifle gaining closer to her.

'Don't look back, it will only make you slow down.'

So she kept running, turning every corner and trying to ditch the people who were going to erase her bloodline for good. They found her family, the mother of 5 children, including Nara as one of the 5, in another village, and they slaughtered them all because two were girls and there was their mother. The mother that gave birth to the girls and gave the 'gift' to each of them.

The men of the house were also murdered, as they could reproduce. But at a young age, the curse would not be working well. Nara was the eldest sister, so she developed the curse when she hit 15.

She was now 17, and a disgrace anyways because of her child. Her family had to throw her out because of how it was back then. It brought great shame to them all.

"It's okay, please stop crying," Nara panted out to her child, "Mama will protect you, just stay quiet sweetheart." Her bare feet was dripping blood and leaving prints that looked like a stroke of paint with each step she took. The cuts on her feet and the dirt were not mixing well.

After the shouts and chaos from the villagers toned down where she was at, She collapsed but kept her baby in her arms. It didn't help that she started to cry once more.

"Mama's alright, shh. We're safe now."

As Nara rested for a couple minutes, her eyes fell upon a tree in front of her. It was a very odd looking tree, but beautiful at that. There was just this one tree in the middle, it's leaves colored in a beautiful bright green. Sunlight only shined on that one tree in the middle and the light defined those beautiful ivy colored leaves in more detail, tiny water drops falling off the ends of them.

Her curiosity got the best of her. She stood up weakly, taking her baby out of the uncomfortable basket. Nara walked to the tree, hissing in pain as she now felt the cuts and bruises because the adrenaline rush was calming down.

The tree seemed to have a white powder around it. Nara was going to inspect further, but her baby started to giggle loudly as her hand was going over this border of white powder. Despite all the heartache and pain she felt, her baby made it all go away.

Nara wanted to experience what was so funny about this border thing, so she tried to put her hand through. When she did, her hand started to burn and it smelt like smoke.

Her flesh was burning off.

Nara screamed and pulled her hand back, tears falling out of her eyes. The baby looked at her mother worriedly and then started to cry because of the scream.

And both the scream and sobs gave away their position. Nara had no time to run. She couldn't escape and her baby would die with her. These people have no mercy, not for a 'witch' or 'demon.'

It seems that Nara is only affected by this tree and the white powder. Her child didn't experience it, thankfully. And it came to her. This was a tree against all things unnatural.

Nara wasn't natural because she obtained the curse, because she was of age of it. But this baby, had no way of getting it yet. It didn't run through her blood right now, not at this age. Her eyes scanned the tree and she found a spot where her child could fit and stay hidden from the angry mob. Quickly, Nara grabbed the basket and put her child into it once more. Then, she put her in this tree and bared the pain of her flesh burning, just so she could save her child.

And once she ran out, the people had already caught up to her. Nara was now being dragged away, tied up and ready to die. But luckily, they couldn't find her child. A huge sigh of relief was let out since they didn't bother searching for the baby, and then, a smile slowly crawled on her face, knowing that her death will give these foolish people a small moment of satisfaction until they realize that it's not over yet.

They didn't get rid of the bloodline that had the gift, the curse, the Jung's had. The Enchantress would live on.