Chapter Eleven: The Ins And Outs

"Huh?" Shelly was confused - and terrified. A shiver shot down her spine.

When everyone realized that the lights had shut off in the cafeteria, the children panicked. The younger children freaked out the most. They ran around, some in circles, and shrieked with their high-pitched voices. The older children had to remain calm and notify the others to do the same.

"Relax," Mrs. Hopper said. She sounded annoyed. "There is no reason to scream. The lights go out all the time. Usually because they burn out."

"Really?" the mysterious voice replied. "All of them? At the same time? I do not think so." He laughed. "I am the one who forced the lights to turn off."

"Why?" Morgan asked. He and his friends were not at least afraid or even worried. "Is it because you are shy? You look ugly on the outside?"

"Oh, no. And for the record, I am gorgeous both on the outside and the inside."

"Pfft. Then why turn off the lights?"

"To do this."

Shelly covered her mouth as she and the others in the room heard loud screams coming from the bullies. They cried in agony and begged the mysterious person to stop doing whatever it was that he was doing. But he would not give in.

"Maybe you will learn your lesson before you decide to mess with my bride. Nobody hurts her...or they pay the price."

The orphan girl then felt a hand grasp her wrist. The hand was...wooden, and tugged.

"Wait. Where are you taking me?" she demanded as the person took off with her.

The lights soon flickered back on, and the children - even Mrs. Hopper - were shocked at the sight.

The three bullies were hanging on a lamp that gently swayed back and forth...

...by their underwear.

Slappy returned Shelly to her room. He opened the door with his magic, and they went in. He used his magic again to close the door and let go of her wrist.

"Come here," Slappy said soothingly. He leaped onto her bed and patted the sheets, wanting her to sit with him.

Shelly shuddered. "I-I recognized your voice," she admitted to him. "...what did you do?"

"What did I do? What did I not do? I most certainly did not bully you and punch you in the face."

She placed a hand on her cheek. The pain from the punch was still there. "Yeah...but...you did something."

"I taught those evil boys a lesson. To not mess with my friend." He winked. "My best friend."

The moment that the puppet winked at her, the girl could not help but blush a little. Why did he wink? Was it out of reassurance? Or was it something much more?

"I would do anything for my best friend." He held out a wooden hand, and Shelly, blushing even more, took it and sat next to him. He squeezed her soft hand, but not hard. "Your skin is so nice. So pure. Like you."

Her eyes widened in surprise. "M-me? Pure?"

"Yes, you. Pure and innocent. You have no right to not be loved."

She sighed and looked down. "My parents used to love me..."

"But they are apparently gone. That is why you are an orphan."

"My...whole family...is gone. My mom and dad died in a car crash. The rest of my relatives were shot and killed at a store."

"Oh my gosh." He hugged her tightly. "I will never leave you. You are my best friend. In fact, you are my only friend."

"Only...friend? You do not have any friends?"

"Duh. I am a magical puppet who can walk and talk. Everybody thinks that I am a freak."

She felt bad and scooped him up in her arms. "You are not a freak. If you are, then I am a freak too."
——————————————————————————
It was April. It was raining outside, so all the orphans were inside and playing with the toys that were available. Mrs. Hopper was observing them and made sure that they did not break or destroy any of the toys. She said that the orphanage could not afford any new ones.

The mistress was writing notes on a piece of paper that was on her clipboard when she heard the front door open. It made a creaking sound.

Creak!

A mother and three kids stepped inside the place. The mother closed her purple umbrella and shook it. The raindrops landed on the floor mat where she was standing.

Mrs. Hopper had an angry look on her face and stomped over to them.

"Do not get water and mud on the floor," she ordered. "It was just cleaned this morning."

The mom nodded. "Of course. Kids, wipe your feet."

She and the kids wiped their feet on the floor mat.

"Before I let you anywhere in this building, might I know what your names are?"

"My name is Kathy," the mother confessed. "Kathy Quinn. And this is Sonny, Sam, and Sarah. I am watching Sam for the weekend while his dad is away."

"Hmm. I see. And just why are you here?"

"We want to see Shelly. Shelly Madison. I want to see how she is doing and am working to adopt her again. I adopted her towards the beginning of this year, but she was taken last month by Ms. Jane."

"Ah." She shook her head. "Sorry. You cannot see her."

"What? Why not?"

"Shelly is gone."