ten

I nearly killed somebody, don't you mind? 

━━━━━━

TEN

dead dealers in the sewers 

━━━━━━

Nobody believed in detective Byun Baekhyun, but he didn't let that destroy him. If he was suffering, he was good at hiding it, but no matter what happened, he never stopped hoping. That was something that I admired about him. It was a bit stupid and foolish, but he was prepared to go against the odds and give it his all to prove the universe wrong. Giving up was never an option.

That was why I especially hated detectives that talked shit about him behind his back and there were a lot of them. Chief Jung, the replacement for chief Kim Eunhyuk was one thing, but the others sat on their asses the whole day and avoided work and they still had the audacity to say something against a person that was at least trying to do something. 

They were at it again that night and I was watching them from the shadows. I was just on my way back from a convenience store, where I went to get some things for Seulgi and the others, when I saw them. It was the trio that was working the night shift and they were having a cigarette break in front of the entrance of the police station. They were shivering in their uniforms and I quickly recognised the cop that I had an argument with when chief Kim first got shot and ended up at the hospital. Strangely enough, he wasn't partaking in the trash talking this time. He seemed to be lost in his thoughts until another man asked him: '' Weren't you investigating one of the now dead dealers though? Do you think that Byun and the other clowns will actually be able to find out who killed them and why? ''

The cop's head snapped towards him and my eyes slightly widened with surprise. '' What I think? I think that... He's wasting his time. ''

'' But then again, he did find the guy that was selling organs for the Lee mafia... '' the third detective murmured and thoughtfully frowned. He took a drag from his cigarette and shrugged: '' Maybe he just got lucky. Who knows? ''

The cop that wanted to strangle me that day at the hospital, lowered his head again. '' He's getting in too deep. He doesn't even realise who he's messing with. How bad the people from the underground really are. I assure you... At this rate, Byun Baekhyun will be dead very soon. ''

I stared at the cop and suddenly I wondered if perhaps we weren't looking for our suspects in the wrong place. 

Not all criminals were hiding underground. 

My gaze slowly travelled towards the plastic bag that was hanging on my arm. Then I raised my head and looked at the three detectives again. One of them lit up a second cigarette, said something else about Baekhyun and I suddenly got an idea. The detective told me to ignore people like them and even if he could do it, I wasn't even close to being as good of a person as him.