Chapter 10 The Devil is Calling.

Chapter 10

The Devil is Calling.

GERARD

"Faith will be okay, Charles. Tell Victoria not to worry," I say.

"Gérard, Victoria wants to speak with you. Good luck. Keep Faith safe, or you'll have Victoria to deal with," Charles jokingly informs me.

Great. All I want is to be in the middle of a war, and now Victoria also wants one. I don't know how Charles puts up with her. She's a selfish woman, always going on about how we should be home, that this is not our problem. Every time Faith speaks to her, she makes her feel awful. So bad, in fact, she's stopped taking her calls.

Victoria is telling Charles off in her phony, high-class voice. Faith sounds nothing like her...even when I'm sitting in a moving truck, I still hear Victoria barking orders in the background. Charles needs to divorce the evil bitch! I know he's only with her because of Kyra, but really, I can't think of anything worse than coming home to that every night. Faith and Victoria are complete opposites, thank God.

"Give me the phone!" she yells at Charles. Poor guy really needs to grow some balls and get out of there.

"Hi, Victoria. How are you?" I ask her as politely as possible. This is going to be a fun call.

"Don't give me that bullshit!" Victoria yells. "How is Faith? Was she hurt in the bombing at the hospital? Was she there? I need to speak to her now!"

"She's okay. She cannot speak since she's sleeping right now. We're in a truck on the way to another hospital. Yes, we were at the hospital that was bombed," I explain to her. I notice she doesn't ask if I'm okay... bitch.

"Wake her up!" Victoria demands.

"Mom, calm down. Let Faith sleep," I hear Kyra say softly in the background. Kyra is a sweet girl; she looks like a mini version of Faith, always able to calm her crazy mom down. Kyra is very much like Faith, and I know Victoria hates that. Almost as much as she hates me, but like I really care what she thinks.

"Hi, Kyra," I yell. I know Victoria will hate that, but I can't resist.

"Shut up, Gérard! It's your fault Faith is there! She would never have gone there if she hadn't met you. Get her home! I don't understand why you people are there anyway... It's not your war!"

I'd never intentionally put Faith in danger after losing Mai. She is the first person I've cared for. After Mai died, I couldn't let anyone on in. But Faith somehow found a way into my heart. I thought it was impossible to love again until I met her.

Faith was the one who told me about this hospital; she forced me to come. I would never let her go on her own, and we had many arguments about coming here. But in the end, she won. I knew if I was here with her, I could keep her alive. I had to.

"Victoria, you're breaking up on me... I think we have a bad line." I pretend the phone is no longer working and hang up on the meddling witch.

Authors Note - War Kids is available to be pre order at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MS8QWYA for only $0.99 with all profits going to save the children charity.

I would be really grateful if you could post any comments on Goodreads . https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22757923-war-kids