Zarka-Chapter 1

The Kingdom of Haranae, meaning sand, was a desert, a very hot desert. The Kingdom was in the South-lands where summer was the sole season. There were very few trees and plant-life. Water was artificially made and most food consisted of meats and roots. It was a difficult life if you didn't have money, and most didn't. Those who did usually lived in the North-lands where life was abundant and water was fresh. They had all seasons except summer, but mostly winter and spring. Haranae was still a beautiful place, even with all the thieves and homeless. The people of this Kingdom mostly had brown, auburn, or red hair and dark tan skin. Golden, brown, or hazel eyes were customarily was Haranaes had for eye color. Of course there were exceptions, but most of those came from the North-lands.

"Swiftly now, Kara. We mustn't keep Zarka waiting," Kara's sister, Nadia said. 

Kara and Nadia lived in the kingdom of Haranae. They were orphans like many in their time. Their mother had died in labor and their father walked out four years later.  Nadia had been 10 and Kara 4 when he left. Kara neither remembered her mother nor her father. However, Nadia remembered both and was troubled by the memory of them, even some ten years later. The two girls had found their way on the streets. They stole, bargained, and borrowed anything they needed. However, they had only survived because they were picked up by group of homeless thieves on the street. And they were on their way to meet their leader, Zarka.

Houses whizzed past Kara as she followed her sister down the rich side of the Kingdom. Her thick red hair flew behind her and her satchel full of stolen items banged against her side. As they ran, the streets got worse and the houses thinned. They stopped to breath and Kara recognized they were only a block away. Most of the houses were unoccupied, broken, or had been knocked down by the Emperor's order. Those houses were thought to have occupied traitors of the crown. Mostly though, people on this side of the Kingdom were just plain broke. No one had any money so no one gained any and everyone fought for their survival, even others just like themselves. Kara always thought this was plain stupid, since everyone was in the same boat, so why rock it? But Kara was smart for fourteen, very smart. She didn't just have street smarts, she knew logical, political, and economical things too. She knew when the Emperor was being fair or unfair, she knew when the economy was crashing, again, and she knew how to act helpless and afraid when she needed too. Most adults in her time couldn't do half the things Kara could, let alone Nadia.

"Come on Nadia, not so far now. Only one more damned block to go," Kara spoke with laughter in her eyes, but the look Nadia threw at her washed it all out. 

"Careful what you say. How many times must it be repeated, sister? Now keep behind me," Nadia answered sternly. Kara rolled her eyes and fell into place, beside her sister. Nadia sighed but did not resist. They walked the last block. Kara's deep golden colored eyes flickered around keeping a note on their surroundings. Finally their home came into view, and old theater, which had long been closed before the girls found it. They went around the side and knocked.

One knock *Clunk*

Two knocks *Clunk*

Three knocks *Clunk*

The heavy door slowly swung inward and 

"Where the hell have you been!?"