the competition

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

chapter three: the competition

"Music is healing. Music holds things together."

--After spending the entire ride to Sonus strategically avoiding making conversation with Felix, I expected to have an easy day in class.

It didn't go the way I wanted it to.

In Music Theory 201, Mr. Lee dropped a bomb on the class.

Even Jisung, sitting by me as usual, was shocked by the reveal.

"As some of you may know, Sonus holds a festival every year to showcase the talents of Korea's future," he started, standing stiffly at the front of the class, "This year, the board has decided to go about things differently."

Whispers erupted from the class, which were quickly hushed by Mr. Lee, "Usually the festival operates multiple competitions depending on major-- which will still be happening. However, in order to compete this year, which is required as Sophomores, you will also need to register in a group competition."

Group competition.

Oh no.

"These groups will be judged on a variety of different criteria, including vocals, rap, dance, lyricism, and composition. Each group will be required to create each element of their performance from scratch. The winner will be given a monetary prize as well as opportunities to continue working as a group instead of internships."

Mr. Lee continued, giving up on trying to hush the growing conversations, "Confirmation of groups is due in a month, and the competition, as per usual, is during the last week of the school year."

Completely drowned out, Mr. Lee shook his head and returned to his desk, watching over his glasses as the entire class freaked out. Some girls were already promising to be in a group together, while a group of guys were yelling out who they wanted to join them.

Jisung was on edge beside me, leg twitching underneath his desk as his eyes flickered rapidly around the classroom, no doubt running through different scenarios in his head.

Amidst the commotion, I stood from my seat and quickly excused myself to Mr. Lee, neatly hitting Jisung as I hurried out of the room. I ran to the nearest bathroom and practically threw myself in a stall, landing on a closed toilet seat.

I leaned forward over my legs, hands clutching at the loose fabric covering my knees as my heart rate continued to rise.

Group projects were one thing, but creating an entire group for a performance? The school year was still fresh, and we had seven months until the competition. That meant seven months of dealing with the same people. Seven months of dodging hangouts and friendly touches. Of avoiding personal questions and getting too close.

I wasn't going to survive. There was no way I would be able to survive that long. Even riding the bus with someone brought invasive, friendly, and spiraling thoughts.

Heart rate continuing to rise and sweat falling from my brow, I failed to notice that the door to the bathroom had swung open softly, slow footsteps getting closer and closer to my stall.

"Kevin?" It was Jisung who called out, barely intelligible over my own heart thrumming in my chest, "Are you okay?"

I practically spat my words out, "I'm fine."