the clover

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

chapter four: the clover

"Music is life itself."

--Thankfully, Jisung was acting like his normal self when I arrived at Music Theory 201.

I couldn't say the same for the rest of the class, though.

Despite being early, the room was crowded as if I was late. Groups had naturally formed around desks, dotting the entire classroom. Sadly, there was one surrounding my seatmate's.

"Excuse me." I muttered, shouldering through the crowd in a feeble attempt to find my desk, only to see it was occupied by an unfamiliar face.

I made eye contact with Jisung, who grimaced and sent me an awkward smile. He was quick to turn to the occupier, "Hey uh-- do you mind moving? Kevin's here."

"Kevin?" The man scoffed, leaning further back in my seat, "'the hell's that?"

"Me," I told him, tapping him on the shoulder, a polite but clearly fake smile on my face, "That's my seat."

"Well you're going to have to wait Kevin," he waved me off, "I'm talking to my new group member."

"Byunsoo, I told you I already have a group." Jisung sighed.

"And I told you I don't care," Byunsoo responded, leaning closer to Jisung, "C'mon, Ace. I think we could be real good together."

"Dude," I scoffed, unable to watch Jisung slowly pull into himself with each half-assed threat that came out of Byunsoo's mouth, "Just leave him alone-- and get out of my seat."

Byunsoo rolled his shoulders, standing up slowly. The group around our seats backed off, leaving sizable space for him to approach me, "What did you say?"

"You heard me."

"You got balls, huh?" Byungsoo lunged forward, grabbing the front of my uniform and twisting it between his fists, "Kevin right? You a foreigner?"

I scowled, "I've lived in Korea for years."

Byunsoo pulled tighter, nearly suffocating me in my collar, "I'll give you a pass just this once-- clearly you're too dumb to understand what I'm saying. Do you need it in English?"

I wrapped my hands around his wrists, ignoring the many phones that were now pointed straight at us, "I don't know... I have a feeling you're not too good at English. I don't even think you're good at Korean."

Quick as lightning, he pushed me backward, sending me falling to the floor. My back hit the corner of my desk, earning a pained groan as I scrambled to sit up.

Byunsoo stood victoriously over me, hands on his hips, "Fucking foreigners man, they never know how to act. You better hope you never run into me again."

With that, Byunsoo sent one last grin to Jisung and the cameras, sauntering out of the classroom with a few others following after him. The rest of the class slowly dissipated, giving Jisung a wide bearth to come and help me to my feet.

"Kevin, I'm so sorry, that guy sucks." Jisung apologized, helping straighten up my uniform, hands never actually brushing against me.

"I could tell," I deadpanned, waving him off and finishing righting my uniform, "Who was he?"