Chapter 2

Chapter 2

'Her situation is severe,' alexander said in a worried voice. 'Whether or not she will live until morning is beyond my sight. My team of healers will do the best they can, but...' his voice trailed off.

Jeffery could sense his fear. There was a good chance the young Human might die. 'Is there anything I can do to help?' he asked quietly.

alexander sadly shook his head. 'Nothing the healers are not already trying. But it might help if you just sat with her.  She will need to see a friendly face when She wakes up from this ordeal, and you are the closest thing She has right now Son.'

'I understand,' said Jeffery . 'And I will stay with Her for as long as it takes. I will not let Her die.'

With that, Jeffery turned and hurried to the room where the wounded Girl was being housed.  She was surrounded by healers, all of whom wore the same concerned expression. They had washed her body and dressed her wounds with healing salve, but still the Human showed no signs of improvement. Her breathing was shallow, and her pulse was weak. One of the healers turned to Jeffery with a defeated sigh.

'It will be an uphill battle,' she said. 'We have done all we can at this time. Now, we can only wait and see if the girl wakes.'

Jeffery nodded resolutely. 'I will stay with her through the night and keep watch as she sleeps.'

One by one, the healers left the bedside, the last one closing the door behind her. In the flickering candle light, Jeffery dipped a square of cloth in the bowl of warm water left by the healers, and gently used it to stroke the injured Human's Arms. Then, holding  the girl's limp hand, he settled into his bedside chair and prepared to wait through the remainder of the long, cold night.