Chapter 1 - Serendipity

'Why can't I join them?'

A young harvin girl was peeking outside a window, towards the park across her house. Not a day went by without her pondering on such a simple, yet hard to answer question.

It was a normal day in the bustling lives within a village, atop a floating island in the skydom. Clouds dotted the bright blue sky, enough to make the local farmers predict a rainfall, yet insufficient to dampen the activities of the villagers.

Cheerful cries and shrieks could be heard from the parks, within which was a group of kids consisted of many races, playing and having fun with each other. A congregation of happiness and joy.

Nio, whose age turned 16 at the time, was sadly not a part of that group.

Her past experience, if they've ever taught her anything, was that she could never understand the feeling of joy.

For such a young life to have never felt happiness was out of the ordinary. It was not normal. That was, if Nio herself was ever a normal harvin girl.

Nio was born with the ability to see people's heart. Her third eye allowed her read into people's desires in the form of tunes, like peering into a musical sheet with notes describing the piece. The cheerful tunes of the kids, vigorous tunes of adults sowing the rice fields, and others were visible to be seen by Nio. Of course, even she could feel the darkest tunes that resided in the recess of the mind.

Everything was visible to her.

Heaving a sigh, Nio closed the windows shut, and headed back into the room. The house in which she and her parents lived in was not a lavish one. A wooden house not so big that you'd feel alone, but not so small that you'd feel cramped when there were other people inside.

Yet she herself couldn't help but feeling lonely.

Nio's parents being overprotective didn't help much, too. They, of course, cared for their own daughter. Yet as time passed, that affection warped into fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of their own child, whom they knew was not normal.

The feeling of an outcast, not allowed social interaction with another had weighed her since she was branded as an abnormal.

Not a day went by without her being thrown insults at by the kids.

Freak. Witch. Aberrant.

Hearing these words whenever she went outside was all part of her normal, daily activities. It was probably the only thing that was normal.

Whenever she found herself being alone, she'd go outside for a walk. Heading towards a grassy hill in the outskirts of the village, she'd embrace the breeze that would occasionally went past her.

Unlike the discord of tunes within her village, the breeze brought her a calm tunes. It was something that she could rarely feel.

Walking around in the grassy environment had always lead to her finding herself thinking, of what life would be had she been born outside of the village. She would often ponder on the myriad of possibilities, of the chance that she could have a normal life, outside the restraints of the village.