Chapter 20

Nala growled as she was herded around by many different evalings, all of them watching her carefully. It's not like I'm going to kill them. Even though I'm much larger than all of them. They were taking her toward an even larger group of evalings, Moon in the front of the group, and King and her friends in a different section. 

"This is not only to testify Nala's murder but to also see if her friends, as well as herself, should stay." Moon bellowed once Nala had made it to the middle of the circle. "First witness, King. You may speak."

King glared at Moon for a second before speaking. "First, she had fallen. She was fine, but she had panicked for a bit before I calmed her down. She seemed fine, but then she ran off! I was really worried about her, so I followed her. It was true, she had run and had fallen into a patch of Laceflowers. It wasn't her fault!"

Everyone started to glare at King as well as Nala. Before Moon could speak, Feather shouted, "King, you're a friend of mine now! Don't let personal feelings get in the way of good judgment, it doesn't help anything."

Before long, many evalings were shouting and snarling accusations at Nala. She growled, fueling with rage. She shouted over all of them. "I'll let myself out! If you all think that's the right thing, I'll go." She stood up, preparing to fly away. Moon towered over her, placing her paw on her back to calm her down.

"Nala, they are only angry. They will believe any excuse to kick anyone seemingly suspicious out. Until we get evidence to do anything, we won't do anything. Plus, you're pregnant, so we won't hurt you."

"That's not the problem.. I'm not dealing with this," Nala turned and looked at her mate and friends. "You guys stay here, it's what you want. This is my own problem." Nala spread her wings and flew into the air, soaring over the crowd and into the deep forest.

She found herself in a patch of sprouting trees, sniffing the air solemnly. Nala looked into the sky, wishing to see the stars in the sky. "I hate these claws I was born with. I hate them!" she glared angrily at her paws, looking at her long, bloodied claws. She then looked at her fur, wishing she was a pup again. Nala closed her eyes, drowning in her memories.

"King, idiot, c'mon, you're so slow!" Nala squealed excitedly.

King nearly tripped over his own paws to catch up. "That's not it! The problem is that you're too fast!"

Nala only laughed and ran faster, falling into a puddle of mud. "My fur!"

"It's all messed up! Here, I'll clean it for you."

"With what water?"

"No, with my tongue!"

"Ick, you're not Jynx, you're not a cat!"

Nala and King bickered as more small figures approached them.

"Well, if it isn't the albino and the freak show." said a growling koala.

Nala flattened her ears, shrinking back.

"Hey, leave her alone! What's wrong with white fur, anyway?!"

"Back off, freak!"

A bear shoved him away, holding him down. King yelped, screaming as he tried to escape.

"Now, for the enemy."

All of the children jumped on Nala, slashing her and biting her. She shivered in pain, taking it. King was screaming for them to stop in the background until Nala heard loud yelling and thundering paws. The children ran, leaving Nala bleeding and King next to her, keeping her safe. Her eyes were squeezed shut, smelling the comfort of her friend and her newly arrived mother keeping her safe.

"Mom?"

Luna looked softly at Nala, wrapping her tail around her. "Yes?"

"Why do they hate me?"