Chapter 1: Bloodstains

The cold air of a night in February pierced through Chloe's artificial skin as she ran. Delicate snowflakes landed in her disheveled ponytail. Her bare feet left powdery footprints in the snow. There was a patch of artificial skin missing from her right temple from where she ripped out her LED. She glanced behind to see if her pursuers were gone, but they weren't. In the moment she looked behind, she managed to trip and fall. As she tried to scramble to her feet, one of her pursuers grabbed her arm and coldly jerked her off the ground. The man held her up and grinned as the other two caught up.

     "Look 'a this! Piece 'o plastic's so dumb it can't even look where it's goin'!", the man snarled as he tightened his grip on Chloe's arm.

     "LET ME GO!", she screamed as she thrashed around, managing to wiggle out of the man's grip. But before she could go anywhere, he caught her by her hair. She tried to thrash out of his grip again, but it hurt her scalp too much.

     "Looks like we've got a feisty one, boys! Y'know, I've heard that some androids can feel pain. Let's see if a machine can really  feel."

     One of the men pulled out a knife and proceeded to hand it to the man holding Chloe still. With one hand still holding her by her hair, he took the knife and gently scraped the tip on her cheekbone, not hard enough to break her artificial skin. He moved the knife to her other cheek, and made a small cut on the side of her face. Chloe bit her lip in an effort not to cry out, but she still whimpered when the blade pierced her skin. This amused the man, making a sinister grin crawl across his face.

     "How 'bout we find out what happens if I do this!", he growled as he took the blade and slowly plunged it into Chloe's abdomen. It made a sickening crunch as it broke through her metal frame. She screamed as warnings appeared in her vision:

LEFT VENTILATION BIOCOMPONENT DAMAGED

MODERATE THIRIUM LEAK DETECTED

     In an effort to save herself, Chloe pulled the knife out of herself and ran it through her attacker's knee. He released his grip on her hair, and she ran, despite having a stab wound to her abdomen. Her attacker's buddies ran away after seeing Chloe's act of self defense, leaving him in the snow.

     Chloe held a hand to her wound as she ran to the closest house nearby. Droplets of thirium landed on the snow, leaving a trail for her pursuers to possibly follow. She couldn't think about them, though. She needed to get shelter for her wounds to heal. Over the next few minutes, her pace slowed. She started to stumble more as her blood pressure dropped. She would cough in an effort to expel thirium from her compromised bicomponent, but coughing meant that more blood would land on the snow, so she had to refrain from spitting out the metallic tasting liquid. Chloe stumbled through the neighborhood, trying to find a house with the lights on. She knew it would be dangerous, but she needed help.

     She stumbled up the stairs of the house with its lights still on, leaving a thickening trail of thirium behind her. She pounded on the door, hoping someone would come, despite the late time of night. She heard a large dog barking, and a somehow familiar voice telling it to be quiet. The man at the door did not expect to see a broken, bleeding android on his front porch.

"I-I need help.", Chloe croaked, the blue blood she didn't swallow pouring out of her mouth.

"Okay, you're gonna be alright-Connor! Get the android first aid kit!", the man gruffly yelled as he helped the bleeding android in.

"Hank, what's going on-Chloe? What are you doing here?"

"I need help.", was all she could manage. She was exhausted, weak, and losing more and more thirium. Her body temperature was rising from her lack of ventilation.