Chapter 17: Mourning Glory,

[Yuu Kannagi]

Yuu only felt himself in a daze as he had completed the mission with Soma. The blonde young man did his best to focus on the task at hand instead of succumbing to the shock of Eric's sudden death.

He vividly remembered Soma's warning to him before they had officially started the mission:

"If you don't want to die, just stay out of my way as much as possible."

Yuu's stomach churned, he felt sick. He felt terrible. The same feeling of helplessness was still there. Scratching within the deepest parts of his consciousness. Berating him, haunting him with memories of the redhead's fatal encounter. The blonde haired man ran a hand through his hair. 'I can't stay like this.' He bit his lip as he immediately stood up from his seat, immediately going off to find Soma. He wanted to ask him if he felt the same crushing helplessness.

Yuu immediately saw the white haired boy by one side, casually minding his business. "Soma." Yuu started as he briskly walked towards him. "What do you want?" Soma immediately scowled as he saw that new recruit. 'Can't all of them just fuck off for once.' Soma's eyes narrowed more.

"It's.. about Eric." Yuu trailed off, unsure how to continue his words. 'Great.' Soma's scowled only turned harsher. 'Another one pestering me about Eric.' He sighed deeply as he looked at Yuu with a frosty glare. "Eric? Nothing to do with me." Soma spat out. He noticed that the recruit was about to open his mouth again, so the white haired man beat him to the chase. "The weaker among us are the first to die. That's all there is to it" He scowled as he turned away from Yuu and left.

The blonde recruit looked at his back in aghast, 'What was that?' He gaped, in shock. Was death really so rampant in here that they learned not to bat an eyelash to it?!

With a gloomy face, he walked away. Losing his motivation.

"Well aren't you gloomy." A radiant looking man stepped out, a familiar blue-haired teen followed him suit, along with the same lavender-haired woman from yesterday. "Kazama-san..." Yuu trailed off, his posture betraying his exhaustion. Not from the mission, but from Eric's death.

"I know. It's about that boy. Der Vogelweid. Pray tell, what exactly happened?" Kazama gestured for Yuu to come with him. "Chronos, Lenka. Stay here for a while." the glamorous brunette then walked towards a space not far from the two. "Eric.. he.. He got eaten. An ogretail had ambushed us while we were introducing ourselves." Yuu started, looking at his shoes. "I could have had done something. But I froze." He finished. Cobalt blue eyes dulling from exhaustion.

"You're an idiot." Kazama sighed as he ran a hand to his hair gracefully. "You're a god eater but you keep forgetting that you're human." Kazama's milk chocolate orbs flashed dangerously as he scrutinized Yuu. "You could have had done something. That's a fact. But don't let it weigh you down." The veteran scolded the blonde young man further, reminding him that they may eat gods but they are still limited in nature.

"You'll weigh not only yourself. Everyone else too." He finished as Yuu visibly flinched from Kazama's straightforward sermon. "Pick yourself up. The road is still long ahead." The veteran in front Yuu offered no sanctuary for the troubled recruit, hell, the glamorous man did not even bother to sugarcoat his words. They were soldiers. He can't spoon-feed this recruit forever. "And be a nice child and talk to Lindow, alright? That man's worried about you. After all, It is your first time seeing a comrade's death." Kazama patted Yuu's shoulder as he turned away.

"Kazama-san." The blonde recruit called out. His dull eyes now regaining some of the fire that it had, a sign that the recruit was coming back to his senses. "Thank you." Yuu smiled at the brunette's retreating figure as he made his way towards Lindow's room.