Chapter 9

Diana yawned loudly and obnoxiously from the rear of the wagon. Aftertrying so hard to get on a mission she realised they were boring, shehad hoped for a shootout or... well, anything else.

"You enjoying yourself back there?" Garrett asked her sarcastically, leaning back on the wagon's bench.

"No, this is so boring..." she replied, spinning her pistol before holstering it again.

"Well, this is ninety per cent of our work."

Garrett looked back at her, she scowled in response and crossed her arms in protest. Garrett simply laughed it off and returned his attention to the track. The journey had been several days of monotonous boredom, Victoriasville still a day away. Night came upon them as they stopped off at a roadside inn, getting a hot meal and beds for the night.

"So, tell me why Miss Jane sent me out with you," she asked, tucking into her stew.

"I think you know why, something to do with a book and the end of all things. Miss Jane can be somewhat over dramatic... well, most of the time" he replied, tearing into a bread roll.

"End of all things?"

Perhaps it was Garrett being over dramatic she thought, pointing at him with her spoon.

"Look,I ain't educated like you two, can't even read them books. Few hurt my eyes too" Garrett told her, though without any malice.

Diana looked up from her food, she'd never considered that the others were unschooled.

"Well,I didn't read anything really, just a name. The author really feared saying it though" she told him after a moment.

"Maybe try and forget that probably for the best in my opinion" he replied with a shrug.

Diana finished up her meal in silence, bidding Garrett goodnight before going to bed. Her dreams weren't pleasant, a shapeless form called her name, bidding her to say its name... the name. She woke suddenly, finding the faint rays of dawn pricking her eyes. Diana felt exhausted, hopefully, she could sleep on the wagon.