Caddy

Written by the amazing LadyBlush_

We didn't choose you; you chose us. You clambered out from the nest of your brothers and sisters and met us raised up on tiny hind legs, pink nose twitching and round eyes blinking. The lady scooped you up and plopped your fluffy little body into a cardboard box, ready for your journey home. "She's long-haired", we were told. On the way home you gnawed at the box until your velvety snout and tickly whiskers protruded.

You settled in well to your new home and immediately became part of the family. If you weren't spinning on your wheel you were performing feats of aerial acrobatics on the bars of your cage or balancing on your swing. You nibbled once or twice in the beginning, but quickly became the gentle giant we knew and loved.

Though you grew fast, your hair didn't. We realised a month or so after meeting you that you were actually a short-haired male, but of course we loved you all the same.

You loved being handled and would sit obediently while we stroked your silky coat. Sometimes we would let you sit with us on the sofa while we watched TV and you would clamber all over us, your tiny claws scratching our legs. Nooks and crannies were your favourite places to be; you would curl up into a ball and groom your beautiful fluff with your delicate pink paws.

It was impossible to be lonely around you. You would slink out of your nest in the morning with sleepy eyes when you heard my voice as I was getting ready for work. You would crawl out of your nest to greet me once more when I came back home. If I had a sleepless night, you would be there, keeping me company. When you were in your exercise ball, you would follow us around and park yourself by our feet. Of course, your loyalty was rewarded with generous amount of choccy drops – your favourite treat.

As you got older, your age began to show; your white and ginger coat became sparse, you spent more time asleep, and your beautiful buckteeth chipped down to little stumps. We fed you porridge as it was easy for you to slurp up, but you liked it so much that you were the grateful recipient of bowlfuls even after your yellow teeth grew back.

It's almost two years later and the thought of not sharing our home with you is strange and sad. We will always cherish the memories we have of you: how cute you look when you stand on your hind legs and beg to come out of your cage; the way you stretch out your human-like hands to accept treats; the fluffy ball you turn into when you sleep. Thank you for being a true friend to us and the joy you've brought. We hope you enjoyed your time with us as much as we enjoyed ours with you.