Death Among Friends

I woke up on my couch with a puppy, Jake Jr, licking me. I could tell it was him from the shaggy unkempt brown hair all around his face making him look like a lion. It reminded me of, well, me. I started giggling until I realized what happened. I ran straight to the door and looked at it. It was locked, but there was more than that. It was boarded up, and when I looked around, so were all the windows. I looked at my watch and it said it was 3 in the morning. I got really worried now. Why would someone board up the windows and who is here at my house? I remembered my bat and grabbed it immediately from under the couch. I turned back around and started up the stairs slowly. I got up the stairs with no problem. It was when I got past the stairs when it got intense. There were doors open; wide open. I quickly yelled.

"Who's there?"

I heard a few shuffles, then a person walked out. It was Julia. I slowly dropped my bat as I stood up.

"How did you get in here?"

" I knew your address, so I grabbed some friends and supplies and rushed over here. Then when no one answered I barged in and accidentally ran into you."

"So who is all here?"

"About 7 other people. Everyone, get over here!"

Soon, people started walking out of the rooms, gathering around her. I knew most of them, mostly Julia's friends. There was Meg, Jane, Kristie, Delilah, Jack, Brandon, and Daniel. I recognized Jack and Daniel as they were on the varsity football team, and I think Brandon was on there too. I said hi to all of them, more nervously than what I would have preferred. Eventually, after some casual conversation, people started to go back into rooms. It came down to just me and Julia. I started asking her questions about everyone here and what the plan was.

"Don't worry about them, they won't mess anything up."

"Why did you come to my house for refuge from "them"?"

"Well, you had the largest house in the entire college".

"Call everyone down here, we need to associate some ground rules."

Slowly, everyone gathers around in the kitchen, mostly toward Julia. They sat down in the chairs I put out as I pull out a piece of paper and a pen.

"This meeting is to discuss rules around here. We will discuss this fairly. First, we must decide on a leader, I vote myself, is there any others volunteers?"

"I vote for myself," Jack said as he stood up.

"Okay, fair enough, is there anyone else? No? Okay, let's vote then. Those for Jack, raise your hand."

Everyone raises their hand.

"Okay, I guess. Welcome your new leader, Jack."

They start to cheer and clap as I move over, writing some things down.

"Okay, now let's discuss a few other rul..."

"Hold it, champ, I'm the leader so I decide the rules!"

"Fine, then what are the sleeping arrangements?"

"Uhh.... first to a room claims it!"

Just then everyone sprints out of the room, running up the stairs as I stand there, now alone.

"Great,"

I say as I grab my extra blankets and place them in the living room.

I lay for a while, thinking about this whole thing. Slowly, I drift to sleep. When I wake back up, people are more active. Some are sitting in the kitchen eating, others are tossing a football around, everyone being busy. I stand up and try to find something to do. I start by fixing my "bed" back up.

"Okay everyone, gather up! We need to decide who is going outside first! I say Jake, all in favor?"

"Aye!"

Great, just what I needed.

"Why do we need to go outside, we have enough supplies don't we?"

"Yeah, it's just for later..."

I start doing more tasks around the house like cleaning dishes and such until lunch rolls around. Nobody comes downstairs to eat. I go up the stairs to see what is going on. As I am climbing the stairs, I start to hear multiple murmurs and a final

"Shhh!"

I step more carefully and eventually get completely up.

Everyone is gathered around one of the windows, staring. I try to see through one of the holes in the boards, but I barely see anything. I finally catch a glimpse of what they are freaking out about. An alien. It is much taller than I thought, about 8 feet tall. It was blue with a slight green tint. It had multiple eyes and was carrying some sort of gun. Just then, a shot is fired by someone outside. A raider of sorts. The alien flinches for a second then chases after the raider. He starts yelling for help, but no one responds. Eventually, the alien catches up and tackles him. It then starts eating the man, gruesomely so. It was so disgusting that one of the girls ran towards the bathroom, creating quite a bit of noise. The alien looks over and stares at the window. Everyone ducks except me. I am so petrified I cannot move. I make eye contact, but then suddenly a military vehicle drives over the alien and continues on its path. It looks dead, but there is no way to tell from this distance. Just then, Jack yells out to the group.

" Everyone downstairs now!"

We gather around in a circle, except for Meg, the one who puked and caused the alien to look. We wait for her silently until she finally joins the circle.

"Obviously, this is our first look at what the aliens do, and one of us caused it to look directly after us, almost causing a fight to occur. We got lucky this time, but it may not happen again. The one responsible must be punished for their wrongdoing. We must vote how. I say we kick her out of the house, banished and never allowed back in!"

"Aye!" comes from the other guys and most of the girls, except Julia.

"We can't just murder her!"

"There is no saying she will die, plus she broke the rules; she must be punished."

"What rules!"

I harshly yell out into the crowd, and especially at Jack. 

Everyone goes silent for a few seconds before Jack starts to speak.

"Seems we have another person to deal with soon."

He grabs Meg by the arms and tightens his grip, making it impossible for her to escape.

"Please don't do this, I'm sorry!"

The guys open the back door and Jack throws her out. They immediately lock the doors as Meg screams to let her back then. She then starts running from the door, being chased by something. Just then, 2 aliens pass by the windows and chase her down. She is soon taken down and eaten, right in plain view. It was gruesome. That's when the arguments started about leaving and rules. I went back to my "bed" and fed the puppies. I then laid down for a quick nap.