Chapter 1

The gravel crunched under my worn-out boots, accompanied by the sound of water sloshing around in the wooden buckets that I carried in both hands, some of which managed to splatter on the weeded walkway up against the side of the small mountain. The air was cool and crisp, allowing small puffs of clouded breath to appear as I exhaled deeply. It was getting further into the cold months, and the small stream by my home was now frozen, causing me to need to travel further for fresh water.

Having grown used to only going a short distance for my water in the warmer season, my muscles were aching in my shoulders and arms, even my legs, as I traipsed up the narrow path. My breathing became more laboured as I neared where the ground flattened out, and once I did, I took a moment to gather myself before continuing.

Frost now covered the surface of most of the shrubbery, which made me glad that I had gathered most of the herbs and vegetables the week prior to prepare them for winter storage. In the mountain, the cold months were hard, but I had survived enough of them to know how to prepare myself.

I lost myself in thought, listening to the whispers of the tree branches rustling in the wind, the sound of the small critters scurrying around for last minute preparations to get them through their hibernations. The birds had long since left, moving to warmer climates for the time being. As I continued further, the path became less like a path, and more like a narrow opening through jagged rocks and boulders and long stone walls of the sides of the mountain. For anyone not used to the journey, it would be difficult to make it through, which is why it made such a good spot for setting up a homestead that no one would find.

Several more minutes passed, and I could no longer hear the whispers of the tree branches in the wind. The sound of whistling between the rocks and tall stone walls of the mountain had now taken its place. After a seemingly endless journey, the form of my homestead started to take shape. It wasn't huge, but it served its purposes well and help the commodities necessary for survival.

My home was small, and almost fully made of rock, apart from the log roof and wooden door, as well as the wooden coverings that go over the windows when the days get harsh. A chimney protruded from the roof in the far-right corner, puffs of grey smoke flowing out of it. From the angle I was travelling, it was hardly noticeable as a home if someone wasn't paying attention.

The wall facing the entry-way of the path didn't have any windows, it was just rock that looked like it jutted out from the mountain itself in crumbling pieces. As I rounded the side of my home, the adjacent wall had a single window, on which bread usually sat to cool. On the third wall, faced furthest away from the path, was the door that leads inside, and on either side of the door was a small window, mostly used to let light and fresh air in when the days grew stuffy and humid. Underneath one of the windows was a wooden box that had been made to store meats in the cold months to keep longer. Jerky is made in the months leading up to winter, however, I still needed to hunt to survive the long season where vegetation did not grow. I also kept some of the vegetables that stayed good for longer in there, such as the root vegetables, potatoes, carrots and such. A few years ago, accidentally, it was figured out that a large batch of stew could be made, and it would freeze in the coldest months of winter and cooking it would bring it back to its former state, keeping it edible and keeping the use of the root vegetables further into the winter. Usually, a day would be put aside to make several large batches of stew, and when it was time to cook it, bits and pieces were chipped out of the large pots to heat up again over the fire.

As I reached my door, I felt several cool drops of water on my face. Looking up I noticed that the snow had started up, barely flaking before it melted at the touch of anything, especially warm skin. I sighed, it was early this year, which meant the winter would be a harsh one. I set one of the buckets down to shimmy the door open before picking it back up and getting inside.