16 - A Certain Lack of Preparation

Zehara clenched her teeth, her focus on the pulsing stone within her palms. The Ardor Stone emanated a blinding golden light and a faint smoke began to curl from her fingers as she gripped it.

She could smell the energy, taste it, and as she gazed at the smoke she began to realize that it was burning her hands. Marking them with maji and energy.

She had been prepared for this result. Zehara had studied the properties of the stone while at the University, analyzed the reports and speculations about it, and theorized about the results of holding it for longer than a few seconds.

Reading scrolls and journaled was nothing to having it in her hands. It was dangerous. Very dangerous. A highly volatile creation of maji and nature, one she was currently regretting handling. Why hadn't she just left it in the pouch?

Zehara clenched her teeth. No, she needed it and she would possess it. It was in her blood to control it. She could do this.

Twelve generations of Belestine's had held the powerful gift the Arturas Stone possessed. She bit her lip and breathed in, focusing every fibre of her being on the stone, channelling her maji through her body, into her fingers, and willing it into the small amber stone.

She stood, feet wide, forming a stance of power. Beads of sweat licked at her eyes but she didn't dare attempt to wipe them away if she did she would lose her composure.

Her senses were both heightened and muffled, she could hear the cry of a child, streets away but was completely unaware of the others within the room at large.

She shut her eyes, blocking out the glaring beam of light, loosened the grip on the stone and focused on steadying her breathing. She would have to calm down if she had any chance of controlling it.

Slowly she stopped fighting the energy, instead, she rode it, feeling it pulse through her like it was her own heartbeat. She sorted her way through the energy pulling at the tendrils that would lead to her ability to collect it.

It took several minutes for her to harness it completely, and it left her wiery and shaking, but when she finally managed to tame it she felt warmth filled her. The light began to fade, diming as it transferred from the stone, absorbing into her skin before becoming a soft silhouette against her skin. It was as if moonlight was pouring through her.

Zehara slowly opened her eyes and the room slid into focus. She took in the damage. The Duke sat on the floor looking dazed, Devarak was leaning over Lavinia, who was lying in her chair unconscious. Eirian was sitting still, looking pale and shaken. Zehara reopened the pouch and stored the stone, hastily feeding the energy back into it. Then she tied the drawstrings and went to crouch by Lavinia.

"Is she alright?" She asked, peering at the girls still features. She had a small nose and a petite mouth to match. She was about as pale as a person could get and when she came too Zehara felt a small thrill as Lavinia gazed up with unfocused milky iris'.

"What happened?" Lavinia asked in confusion.

"The Queen decided to touch the Ardor Stone." Duke Ellington said dryly.

"Next time warn us if you're going to do that." Devarak said, helping Lavinia to her feet, "She doesn't cope with loud sounds or strong energies." He gave Zehara a disgruntled, but not unkind look.

Over the last week, he had grown to care for Lavinia. She was kind and honest, while also being brave and outspoken. He had felt panic as soon as Zehara had reached for the stone, he had thought about telling her to wait but it had been too late. 

 He had turned just in time to see Lavinia hit the ground. She had let out a piercing wail as Zehara touched the stone and had slid to the floor. For a moment he had considered the possibility that her energy had been drained from her, but she had begun to stir as the energy was contained and he had felt her pulse when he had checked it.

Now that she was awake, Devarak turned to locate Eirian. She was clutching the edge of her chair and looked quite ill. Her head hurt. It had begun to ache as soon as the stone made contact with Zehara's skin. She couldn't think at all, and for only a moment she had forgotten where she was. Her skin was hot and sweaty and the room around her was spinning. Devarak was now at her side, looking thoroughly worried.

"Are you alright?" He asked, crouching down beside her.

"I think so. I'm a little... dizzy..." She said, "I just need a moment."

She sat there with her eyes closed with Devarak eyeing her in patience concern.

After a few minutes, Eirian forced her eyes open knowing that if she didn't the others would worry and she couldn't bear to cause them any more trouble.

She smiled at Devarak, a tight-lipped little thing.

"I'm alright." She said, he gave her a look of disbelief.

"Are you? Can you stand?" He asked, knowing full well that she couldn't. They both knew it.

"Yes. Of course, I can." She said stubbornly. She used the arm of her chair as support and gritted her teeth as she forced herself to her feet. She managed to get upright shakily and Devarak stood to match her, looking unconvinced.

"See I'm good." She said with a grimace, the result of attempting to grin. She let go of the chair and immediately lost her balance. Devarak was ready, he grabbed her under the arms and lowered her into the chair again.

"I didn't think so," he turned to the Duke, "Eirian's not looking too well. I think she's had most of her energy sapped by that stone. Is there somewhere she can rest?"

The Duke rubbed his scruffy beard in a nervous frenzy and said, "Of course I'll get Emily to make up a bed on the second floor. Unfortunately, most of our sleeping quarters are up a ways. Can she make it up there?" He appraised Eirian uneasily.

She nodded.

"I just need to sit here. Then yes." Eirian said, closing her eyes.

"Make one for Lavinia as well, Uncle. She should also lie down." Zehara said, she was still supporting Lavinia and a slightly guilty look was displayed across her fine features.

Devarak nodded. "Is there a doctor near?" he asked, "I need to see someone about my lashes. I believe they're infected."

The duke's brow creased. "Of course. We have a family practitioner. I'll call him in." He bustled out of the room to find a maid.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know how much energy the stone would contain. I read about it but should have prepared more. I didn't think." She trailed off, looking slightly flustered, and for the first time showing a flicker of vulnerability. "I should have warned you before releasing its power," Zehara said gently.

She sounded more natural now with her guard lowered, her tone was less measured and her posture more natural. The stone had sucked away her will to stand straight but her mind was wildly wuring with newfound stamina.

She glanced at Eirian and Devarak and then back at Lavinia who she had helped to the sofa. She was now sitting with one hand clenching the arm of the sofa and the other clutching Zehara's own hand.

"That's alright. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. That certainly wasn't it." Lavinia said, she was shaking furiously and breathing in a deep and measured way, attempting to stabilize herself. Zehara bit her lip and gazed at her with regret in her cool grey eyes.

"I should have done it in private. Or out of doors." She glanced around the room. The glass mirror above the mantlepiece was cracked slightly from the energy burst.

"It's probably better that you did it here. At least we were all aware of the risks. Who knows what would have happened elsewhere." Devarak said grimly.

The Duke reappeared after a brief silence, puffing slightly as he walked into the room.

"The maids are getting everything ready and the doctor has been sent for." He said sitting on the couch again looking fatigued. "Why I ever bought this house I'll never know." He said glancing around. "It's far too large."