Part 1

The wind tore at her hair as she raced across the desert, the thunder of hoofs all around her. She urged Bailey to go faster. The mare obeyed and seemed to unleash herself. They were flying across the land, leading the herd towards the nearby town of Talonstone. It was barely five miles away. She'd be able to see it soon. How nice it would be to sleep in a real bed tonight!

Jaqueline Evecker had been on the job for two weeks. She'd been hired to bring sixty heads of cattle to a man called Aaron Long and had worked hard to keep the herd together. As grateful as she was to have this job, she was exhausted. Working alone out in the desert was tough, but no one ever asked her to join their team, so she worked alone. She enjoyed her job and she didn't mind being alone. No one could insult her if she was by herself. Still, after weeks in the wilderness, she was eager to gorge herself on a hot meal cooked in a kitchen, not over her campfire, and to drink her fill. She'd earned the payment she'd receive from Long and she deserved a night to relax. She couldn't keep a smile from tugging at the corner of her lips as she dreamed of a nice bed and hot bath to wash away the desert's grime.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she almost didn't notice as the earth behind her started to shake. Not as much as the ground ahead where the herd charged on, but more than it should. She glanced over her shoulder to find four riders running towards her.

"Shit," she muttered, leaning into Bailey's neck. "C'mon girl, let's go."

She couldn't make out their faces with the late afternoon sun behind them. They were merely dark silhouettes, but seeing anyone in wilderness that was never a good sign. She was in outlaw country.

A gunshot ran out behind her. Jackie ducked down on instinct to make herself a smaller target. The sound seemed to scare some of the cattle and they began to scatter. Without being told, Bailey veered toward the left flank of the herd, pushing them back towards the rest of the cattle. The cows veered back towards the right, resuming their course towards Talonstone. When another shot was fired, Jackie risked another look over her shoulder.

The riders were gaining ground. They were close enough she could see dark bandanas covering their faces and broad-rimmed hats shading their eyes. Two of them were holding guns out. They were aimed at the sky, for now. One man shouted something, his words lost to the wind.

Jackie urged Bailey to go faster, faster, as they raced towards the town. The bandits wouldn't dare get too close to town. At least, she hoped they wouldn't. The chance of running into the local sheriff and his deputy was rather high. Bailey ran across the desert, hooves pounding and kicking up great clouds of dust behind them, but the herd of cattle was slow, far slower than the riders gaining on them. Stupid cows.

Then, out of nowhere, one of the riders cut in from the left, dividing the herd. Over half veered to the left, towards another rider who easily got behind them and began directing them away from Jackie.

"Hey!" she shouted. "Those are my cattle!"

Ahead, the rider was weaving between the remaining heads, sending a few more off towards the others. Jackie didn't know what to do. The majority of the herd was going the wrong way and the riders were armed. Going after the cows would be suicidal, and they were only cows. But they were also the key to her pay.

Maybe the remaining would still earn her enough for a night in a hotel and a stable for Bailey, but maybe they wouldn't. Aaron Long was a notoriously stingy man and had a lot of influence among the other traders. He could ruin her career; she couldn't risk pissing him off.

Jackie muttered a string of curses that could make a pirate blush and tugged on the reigns. Bailey turned towards the plume of dust left by the cattle. The riders were all behind them, driving them to who-knows-where. But... there were only three riders. Where was the fourth?

As if in answer, a bullet whizzed past her head. Jackie ducked and reached into her vest before pulling out her own gun. She turned and fired a shot over her shoulder. She missed, but it sent the message. I'm armed too, you bastard. She dug her heels into Bailey's sides, urging her on. They were almost to the riders, who were slowed down by the cattle.

Then the fourth rider came up beside her, his black horse glistening in the sun. He held a gun in one hand and the reigns in the other. Jackie glared at him and sped up. He easily caught up and stared at her.

"You'll turn 'round if you know what's good for you, girl," he said.

"You stole my herd!" she screamed back.

"You're lucky we didn't steal your life!"

Then he leaned over across the gap between their horses and pushed her. The push was so strong, Jackie nearly flew out of her saddle. Just as she was righting herself, he shoved her again. This time, her feet slipped from the stirrups and the ground raced up to meet her.