Chapter two

It had been eleven and a half months since emma and Neal had first met. In that time, Neal had moved into the house and was becoming a real firemen today. Emma had gotten a promotion at the dinner and still worked the night shift but with better pay. The two had been dating for ages. Emma and Meredith were going to his moving up ceremony but snow wasn't. There was something about Neal she didn't like. She just couldn't place her finger on it. He looked something like the dark one....

Neal got dressed up for today quickly. He had something to ask Emma but he was scared. He was scared that when he told her about Jacob she would leave him or break up with him. Women always did that when he explained the story of Jake. He would never chose anything over him. Neal was in a relationship when he was a thief. She was a blacksmith and he stole from her. They hit it off and got drunk. Neal was arrested for theft and went there for eleven months. After he got out of jail, he awoke to the doorbell of his apartment which he had at the time. A woman stood there with a small boy in a blanket.

"Neal, he's yours. He doesn't have a name. I can't take care of him now. I need you too. Try to pay child support money too." The boy's mother, Julia had said before walking off day

Neal remembered that perfectly. As far as he was concerned, Julia was just an old fling and his boy's mother. Neal took care of him until he was taken to court for not paying child support when he had been. He lost custody of his son who he had named Jacob but still had visitation rights. Now that Julia had terminal cancer, she didn't want Jake around her so he wouldn't see her like that. Neal had his son back, he just had to explain the story to Emma and Meredith.

Emma had seen photos of a young boy in Neal's room. She wasn't sure who it was but she thought it was Neal when he was little. Never did she imagine it would be his son.

Everyone went to the ceremony and came back home after. Meredith went up to change and Neal followed. He explained his son to her and she was completely fine with him moving in and sharing a room with Neal.

"Hey, Em." Neal smiled at his girlfriend and sat next to her on the couch with a recent photo of Jake in his hand. "I got something to tell you."

"Anything, Neal." She leaned against him.

"I have a son. His name is Jake and he is three. I told you I've done some stuff I regret and his mother is one of them." He explained Jake's story to emma.

"So you have a three year old son who I'm just learning about now?" She asks after he's done talking.

"Yeah. I didn't want Jakey to meet you and grow attached to you too much if we broke up and all." He shrugs.

"That's cool, Neal. I would love to meet him." she smiles and ignores the irony of this. The irony was that she and Neal had talked about having kids. He always said he thinks if might be a good idea but he doesn't want to have to cause her and their children pain if he were to die.

"Alright. I'm going to get him tomorrow. Thanks, Em. I love you."

"I love you too, babe." She kisses him softly as snow comes down stairs and sees them. She clears her throat. "Sorry..." emma mutters as neal laughs slightly.

"I swear you'll end up pregnant one of these days, young lady. And I won't be happy." snow says as she glares at Neal.

"Mom, shut up." Emma says and rolls her eyes

"I'm just saying." Snow grabs her keys. "I'm going to work. Bye." she leaves.

"She might be right one of these days..." Emma mutters

Neal checks his watch. "Come on. Let's go to bed. It's late and I'm leaving early."

"We are leaving early. I'm going with you." Emma says, smiling