Chapter 1 ~ The Escape

Although Amelia loved her mother so and her father was her inspiration, she did not long for the poor, servant life her parents so reluctantly owned. Her whole life Amelia had felt like there was no possible escape. Trapped inside one of her mother's empty jam jars that had lined the rustic shelf at the bottom of the window sill.

Amelia had already packed her bags for the train, but thoughts of uncertainty lingered throughout her mind. She stood frozen at the top of the old wooden staircase. Shaking the uncertainty away she grabbed her suitcases and headed down to the kitchen.

All fear fled when the smell of her mother's homemade bread danced underneath her nose. Oh how she would miss her mother cooking. As she reached the kitchen more extravagant scents could be smelled. Mashed potato, carrots, fresh beef all smothered in gravy, made from the broth of the roasted meat.

Her mother, Mary-Sue, stood hunched over the sink cleaning the dirty silverware.

"Oh what delectable smells are coming from the kitchen." Amelia smiled brightly towards her mother.

"I've prepared it all for you. care to sit down? I'll pick you up a plate, filled to the brim!" Amelia could see the concern building in her mothers eyes.

"Mother you know I cannot, for I will miss the train if I procrastinate any longer." They both frowned. Her mother was hesitant with her choice to move to the city... alone. But seeing Amelia's enthusiasm and her husband's encouragement, she allowed it.

"I know... but I wish you'd stay, it's not as bad as it seems." Her mother's sheepish smile hid a thousand lies.

"You can barely afford the house, let alone the upkeep of the crops and livestock." Mary-Sue's smile dissipated. Amelia acknowledging their problems made them seem more of a reality.

"I knew I would not be able to convince you so I packed you a lunch for the ride." Mary-Sue handed Amelia a heavy brown paper bag. "Don't eat it all in one sitting young lady." Mary-Sue jokingly waved her pointer finger in disapproval.

"I promise, I will not" Amelia embraced her mother in a hug. A few tears where shed, but knowing that they were tears of love, not sadness, Amelia opened the door and fled to the field before her mother would be able to speak another word... and possibly change her mind.

The field was filled with newly bloomed flowers that let off the delectable smell of lavender and rose. On the horizon Amelia could see George retrieving water from the old stone well. Being in the family for generations the well was barely keeping itself together.

"Father! I am leaving for the train!" Amelia called from the dirt path alongside the field. Her father straightened up to listen.

"Pardon!" He yelled in reply.

"The train! I am leaving!" Her father blew her a kiss and fluttered his straw hat through the air.

    Freedom was so close that Amelia could almost taste it. There was this feeling deep down that picked at her soul. It was almost as if she had sticky syrup on the bottom of her shoes, keeping her from moving.

'No I must not give in now, I am brave, I can do this' she though to herself.

Soon enough the fear faded and a skip appeared in her step. Amelia's golden ringlets jumped through the gentle breeze. Her heart filled with song and she could've started to sing, that is, if she wasn't hit by someone's horse.

"You imbecile! How indelicate of you!" Amelia grumble while she vigorously rubbed the forming bump on her head.

A man dressed in the most expensive of tux's descended from his horse and held out his hand. With the light hitting him perfectly he looked just like the princes in the fairy tales she had read. Amelia accepted and stood to her feet. She brushed the dirt off of her blue ragged dress and fixed her barrette.