Part 10

Despite their importance, country wives are rarely mentioned in trader's journals or accounts. John Sayer spent the winter of 1804 with a woman he mentions only once in his journal. Obemau-unoqua was likely with Sayer when he settled at Fort St. Louis in 1793. The daughter of the important Ojibwe chief Ma-Mongazida, Obemau-unoqua gave Sayer social importance as well as political allies among the Ojibwe. With Sayer, she raised at least three sons, one of which later became a clerk with Hudson's Bay Company.

The fur trade was made-up of individuals of vastly different backgrounds and experiences—wealthy partners, hard-working clerks, colorful voyageurs and skilled Native men and women. Each had an important role in the operation of the business and was dependent on one another. Montreal agents made their profits from selling the hides native women cleaned. Voyageurs relied on the clerks to keep accurate account books to ensure they received the proper pay. All of these people struggled to navigate the complex economy of the fur trade.

 In the minds of businessmen, on the backs of working men and in the hands of native men and women the fur trade was built. Most voyageurs were hired because of their skill and strength as paddlers. Finally, there were the Native men, women and families. While not employed by the company, they nonetheless played important roles in the trade as interpreters and diplomats. And since the Nor'westers did not hunt for themselves, almost all their food was provided by Native men and women. Traders also depended on Native men and women for their traditional skills such as skinning animals and building canoes.

Like company agents, partners were wealthy men. Partners were also gentlemen. They were well educated, could read and write, and demonstrated correct and proper behavior. According to company policy, no one could become a partner without serving time in the wilderness. 

It is established as a rule that every partner must take 2 years out of 3, to winter in the Northwest, managing a Post. The managing Partners of the Montreal House are the only persons excused; any other, when they are no longer inclined to serve this duty must resign.

 —Thomas Douglas, Fifth Earl of Selkirk, 1804 Each wintering partner was in charge of a huge area known as a district. Each district was divided into several departments. Each department included several wintering posts. An experienced trader with many years experience, John Sayer became a wintering partner of the North West Company in the 1790s. 

He managed the Fond du Lac and Folle Avoine Departments, which included the area south of Lake Superior and the northern reaches of the St. Croix River valley. In the region under his command, Sayer traveled widely and oversaw the operation of twelve smaller wintering posts. He built and operated a supply depot and warehouse at Fort St. Louis, on the shores of Lake Superior. Most importantly, Sayer was responsible for the actual trading in his department. Although he followed general company policies, he negotiated directly with the local natives. He gave gifts to encourage the natives to trade. He even altered the prices offered for furs. Sayer kept tight control of all his department's operations.