If I could tell her, everything would be fine. But I couldn't. The blood on floor wasn't me. I didn't cut myself shaving, I didn't know where it came from. But I could see the searching in her eyes, and I wished I had an answer.

"I'm heading out." I told her.

It wasn't a lie. But I didn't tell her everything. She didn't need to know. All she needed to know was that things were about to be way better than they had been.

The garage smelled like rot, and I was grateful she hadn't been in here yet. Latex gloves felt much too familiar on my hands, like a promise ring from a long forgotten vow. I grabbed the mass of trash bags from behind my bike rack and hefted it onto the dolly. I wheeled it out the back door, grimacing at the stench.

Our dumpsters were no stranger to the odd raccoon or possum, but none were interested in the monstrosity I had brought to dump. I heaved the mass into the dumpster and shut the lid. A thunk came from behind me and I jumped at the sound. I turned to see my neighbor shut his truck door. We locked eyes and he seemed uneasy. I narrowed my eyes to suggest that if he wanted trouble, he would find it, and he looked away. He headed inside without too much delay and I returned to my task. I steered the dolly back inside and locked the door behind me. I removed my gloves and trashed them. I went back into the safety of the house.

"Back so soon?" Her voice from the kitchen rang out in a way that seemed lonely, far too lonely for someone so lucky.

"Yes," I told her.

There was blood on the sink again. I didn't put it there. I only wanted to use the restroom, why wouldn't the blood go away?

I ran the sink for a few minutes. The blood was gone. I turned to wipe my hands. I closed the restroom door behind me and entered my bedroom. Two yellow eyes appeared under the bed.

"Hello pretty one," I coo.

The creature yawns, it's gaping maw flicking out a spiked tongue. It stretches and comes to greet me. I pet its neck, but pull back immediately. Its fur is wet with blood.