two;

The road was completely empty of people as they cruised down the highway

The road was completely empty of people as they cruised down the highway. All around her was trees and traffic signs littered with vandalism.

"The liquor store had to be one of our top ten best exits ever,maybe even top five" Richie bragged with a small smile,looking in the mirror back at Max who leaned her head against the window while Seth drowned a bottle of pills.

"The way that booze caught on fire,it was like bananas flambé. Even topped the bank" Richie added as Max shivered. "That liquor store was supposed to be a quick piss stop,not a goddamn Lee Marvin moment" Seth scolded making Richies once excited face fall.

"We're heading straight for the border. We gotta get to El Ray before the cops get organized."

"Again."

Max's voice made the brothers turn their heads back to her for a second. "What?" Seth asked her tapping his thumb on the steering wheel.

"I said again. The cops were organized,you heard the ranger. Every street they were looking for you guys so give Richie a break. The liquor store may have got some of them off us for a while."

Seth's face dropped as he looked back and her tiny smile and he felt no anger even if she was sticking up for someone who at the moment,was making very questionable decisions.

Richie turned his head completely and him and Max shared small smiles between each other before she turned back to the window.

"You keep talking about that place like it's the shit" Richie suddenly snapped about Seths talk about El Ray. "That's cause it is. El Ray means "The King" which is how we're gonna live."

"All of us" Seth said looking back and Max who shook her head. "I told you guys the deal,I help you get across the border which I still don't know how I can even help you,then I'm gone."

Her words were like knifes to both of the brothers chests.

"If we ever make it there. The border still and hour and a half away. By the time we get there it'll be swarming with badges."

"What do you suggest,Einstein?" Seth remarked. "Lay low,ditch the heap,let the heat die down."

"There is no dying down. You just jacked it up to high when you turn that place into The Wild Bunch."

"Lee Marvin wasn't in The Wild Brunch" Richie said cutting him off. "It was Lee Holden" Max said tiredly giving up on the window and stretching her body out across the back seat entirely.

Max could hear the brothers arguing,yet again but tuned out as much as she could finally finding peace for a few moments until she saw Richie staring down at her.