Chapter Ten: We're Just Enough

Sam slammed the car door shut, almost forgetting to pay her Uber driver. She ran into the building. Before the receptionist could speak, she asked, "Where is my Kate!? Kate Mildworn!" Her voice was loud and frantic, yet the receptionist was calm and collective. "Are you friends or family?"
  "Girlfriend. Can I see her, please?" Sam rushed.
  "East hallway, third door to your right."
   With that Sam immediately sped down the hall to Kate's room. The doctor was on standby when she walked in. "Kate!"
  Kate didn't respond. "She's too weak." The doctor spoke softly. As if even he was grieving. "Kate... My Kate..." Sam whispered.
   "Sam." Sam could hear Kate manage to croak, sickly and drained. Sam looked up from the ground to Kate. She inhaled, a quick gasp for air realizing that Kate was not dead.
  "I'll give you two a moment in peace." The doctor silently left the room.
   "Kate, I'm so sorry. I got mad for nothing and-" Kate slowly put her finger to Sam's lip. "Shh... I know."
  Sam couldn't stop the tears dragging down her cheeks. She sniffled. "Kate..."
   She pulled Kate's hand from in front of her and squeezed it. With all her might, love, pride, heart. It all was in that drawn out squeeze.
   "We were never perfect... I promised that-"
   "We're just enough, Sam. We're just enough."
   Sam couldn't handle it. She felt that the whole world had just been dropped in her shoulders. Or it had just shattered. Her universe fell apart.
   She set her head down on Kate's chest. Her arms crossed over and in front of her. She cried as she felt Kate's heartbeat and her own.
   "Kate, I love you." Kate had started crying too, but there was no sound, only salty drops running down her face. "I love you, Sam."
   Then there was a constant beep. It went on forever at a steady rate. No higher pitches, no lower jumps. Just a line of bitter music. Sam realized, it was the heart monitor.