TO INFINITY AND BEYOND

Ten years has passed, nothing's changed. Typhoons come and go. Many have passed and gone away. She remained in love with him.

Mary was walking down the street on her way to her work. People cross her path but she doesn't mind them. What only matters to her was him.

One hundred months, eight hundred days have gone. She has never been that happy but rather, she became a pathetic loner. She smiles but fakes it, trying to hide everything.

Time flies fast. Everyone has changed except her. 

When in work, it is her routine to just sit, wait for her patients to go visit her and have their check-ups. She slightly smiles and laughs softly. Her patients are loyal just like her. They never get tired going in and out of her clinic, though she rarely interacts with them. She is the best doctor and surgeon in town despite her being like a robot.

After her work, her routine is to visit his grave. She buys red roses with white candles for him. Every time after she lights the candles and prays, she stays for a while and has a chit-chat with Cliff. Clifford Hanson is the love of her life. Her one true love but they weren't for each other. Cliff died because of a car accident. Mary was with him. Miraculously, she survived but he didn't.

"Hello Cliff. How are you? Mine day was nothing but ordinary. I miss you. Same patients come and go as usual. Haaaah. Ohh. I remember, the Chief Surgeon invited me to go on a seminar training in Seattle. I don't know what to do. Can you give me a sign whether to go or not?"

As always, she asks for signs as a permission from Cliff. She never gets tired in doing such. She loves him purely. 

A strong wind blew the candles off and that meant a "Yes" from Cliff. "Really? I'm a little bit shy though. Babe, seriously? Urgh. Okay then. I'll go but on one condition. Can you come with me?"

After the short chit-chat, she bid goodbye and kissed his grave. "I love you babe. See you tomorrow."

Before heading off to the airport, she went to his grave. "I'm already packed up, babe. Are you ready? C'mon. We should get going before our airplane leaves us." 

People around her looked at her curiously. They thought she was some kind of psycho. She noticed them and gave them a smile. 

Turning her back, a man ran her off. And for the first time she felt unusual.

"I'm sorry Doctor." The man apologized. She looked at him head to toe trying to recognize the man. "Its okay, Sir. How'd you know I'm a doctor?" 

"My mother was one of your patients. Your favorite patient actually. Mrs. Clarkson, don't you remember her?" In a snap of a finger, she finally recognized the man. "Oh, yes. I do. You've grown up already. How is she?" The man drew a sad face. "She passed away last July." 

"Aww. I'm sorry. I didn't know. How could I? I'm really sorry. Condolences to your family."

"Thank you, Doctor. My mom really loved you." 

"I loved her too. By the way, I need to catch up with my plane. It's nice too see you again." Mary and the man shook hands. 

She still had thirty minutes before boarding. While waiting for her plane, the man she met a while ago was running in her head. She couldn't stop thinking about the man. He looked familiar. As if she knew him deeply.

After the seminar training, she flew back to New York. And again, Mary and the man met at a gasoline station. 

"Good day, Doctor. How was your trip to Seattle?" The man approaches her. 

"Mr. Clarkson, good to see you again. I had fun meeting new surgeons. We kept talking about new procedures, diseases, interventions and the like. How about you?"