Chapter VIII - Heart Broken

Ronan is staring to a dilapidated pier.The pier is located just at outskirts of Neville. Need to fix it first. Then more traders would come through the river. More trade would flourish Neville.

Allie looks behind her. Still felt being watched. But no one is around. She's getting paranoid lately.

Neville pier brings a lot of old memories. This is the exact spot where she first met Razi Quillon. The skinny boy who stole her money. She chased him and beat him up. Took back her money.

Then her father grabbed him. Took him for a long chat in private. Razi was an orphan. An illiterate one too. Her father decided to take him home.

He fed him well. Taught him how to write letters and fought like a true warrior. Razi learned everything like a lunatic. He could write neatly like a scholar in just three months. He mastered archery half a year later.

Razi and her used to practice together all the times. Her best friend.

(What went wrong with them? Why he betrayed father? Betrayed his country? Why he raped her?)

Allie looks sad again.

(What happened? Is it homesick?)

She never told him anything. The only thing he knows is she has a twin sister, Emmie. And they are poor noblewomen. Orphans with no relative left.

(Heck! She won't even tell me her true name. Or where she came from. Wonder what skeleton she hides in her closet?)

Ronan is heading towards her when few men suddenly block his path. They are dressed like workers but armed to the boots.

One of them says, "Time to die, general. "

Ronan draw his blade. Killed three of them. But their leader, a blond man is a tough fighter. Ronan got some injuries. But he manages to wound him too.

"Ronan! "yells her while running toward him.

A sword in her hand. The blond man whistles and all the men withdraw at once.

Ronan uses his cloak to stop his bleeding.

"Let me help you," says her.

She tears his cloak to shreds. Use them as makeshift bandages.

They are leaving the pier area when she sees a face of one of the corpses. It's one of her father's men. She is shocked.

She quickly checks the other corpses. Razi isn't among them. She feels slightly relieved. They're her father's men. It means Razi is connected to this assassination attempt somehow.

Allie knows them. Her face told him everything. But she told him nothing. They don't talk much that day. Something is bothering her. But she won't tell him anything.

Ronan is checking construction site in early morning. Suddenly a rock is thrown to his head. He curses for a while.

He looks around. Few people are moving around. Close enough to throw it. But no one would confess it for sure.

He isn't really a popular guy in Neville.
A real slave driver. Always pushing workers to work faster.

He looks downward. A small piece of paper is tied to the rock. He takes it and reads it. He couldn't believe his eyes. His face grows darker red. And he runs toward his tent in his rage.

A blond man smiles while continuing sawing a log of wood.

"Allison Algernon! " yells him in thunderous voice when he enters his tent.