Chapter 2

Leopardnose and Tigerstar walked into their home. In a back room, Brambleclaw and Squirrelflight were asleep. After saying goodnight to each other, Leopardnose swished her bushy tail and made her way to her and her mate's room, next to their kits' room.
She undressed and worked into bed, but then Rainwhisker murmured, "Where were you?"
"Visiting Goldenflower's grave." She half-lied. They had been elsewhere but did indeed stop at the gravesite before returning.
"You smell a little fishy," he blinked his groggy blue eyes at her.
She stroked his cheek gently, "No dear, it's just a bad dream."
But as she laid down, she wondered if that embrace with her younger brother had actually been enough for RiverClan scent to be on her fur.

"I'm taking Sootpaw and Whisperingpaw hunting," Rainwhisker declared late in the morning.
"Ok," Leopardnose yawned after a drink of creamed coffee.
Rainwhisker frowned. She noticed and asked, "What's the matter?"
He sighed, "Don't you want to come?"
She rubbed her forehead, "I do, but I'm tired."
He shook his head and looked down at his boots, "that's always your excuse."
"Excuse?" She was quite offended, "I went to visit my mother's grave last night!"
"With your father after midnight?" Rainwhisker challenged.
"Yes!" Leopardnose shot back. The two apprentices were peering out from their bedroom. Their littermate-brother was already out with his mentor, and Mossmask had warrior duties to attend to.
"I think there's more." Rainwhisker accused, "you and your father have been sneaking about for a while! Not even the kits were enough to keep you settled!"
"Well I am my father's keeper now," Leopardnose reminded him, "Goldenflower is dead and Brambleclaw is deputy and preoccupied with Firestar's pretty little daughter!"
"Doesn't mean you can't make time for me and our kits!" He argued, "and stop about Squirrelflight, she's proven herself a fine warrior; you're as bitter about her as Ashfur!"
"Let's not forget I wanted Ashfur before I ever showed interest in you, and he's still single!" Leopardnose yelled at him.
He gasped as though the air had just been hit out from him in a violent attack.
The littermate-sisters looked at each other, stunned.
"Sootpaw, Whisperingpaw!" Rainwhisker called to them with stress in his meow, "Let's go."
Leopardnose noticed her youngest daughters nearly ran into their grandfather as he walked out of the bathroom.
They ran out of the doorway that Rainwhisker had opened.
The door shut, Tigerstar grabbed a cup of coffee, black. "What're you going to do about him?"
Her face fell into her hands, "I don't know, every day it gets worse."

"Ferncloud!" Leopardnose had left Tigerstar with Brambleclaw for but a few minutes.
"Leopardnose!" Ferncloud greeted her friend. Ferncloud was slightly older, so they had trained together. They had also been in the nursery together, when Leopardnose was unexpectedly pregnant with Mossmask.
"How's it feel to be our age and nursing?" Leopardnose laughed.
Ferncloud looked down at her lap, where two small kits were suckling on her. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." She purred.
"I can't imagine doing it again," Leopardnose admitted.
Ferncloud sighed, "yes well, the whole clan has noticed your romance has deteriorated."
Leopardnose nodded, "It's true."
They were silent a moment as rain pummeled the roof, thunder roared.
"How do I get that spark back?" Leopardnose finally asked.
Ferncloud frowned, "That's not something I can tell you."
Leopardnose nodded.

Tigerstar and his daughter walked in silence. Suddenly, Sorreltail and Poppypaw emerged from the brush. They were in hunting gear, carrying rifles, and also kill.
"Is the prey running today?" Leopardnose asked her other close friend and sister-in-law.
Sorreltail flicked an ear, sending droplets flying, "somewhat. It was better this morning before the storm."
Poppypaw nodded, "I caught a bird!"
"That's great!" Leopardnose smiled at her niece.
Lightning lit the dark sky. It was followed immediately by a crashing sound, and then a cry for help.
"That's Sootpaw!" Leopardnose gasped and burst into a run, not even remembering she was supposed to stay with her father.
He did follow, managing to keep pace despite his age.
They stopped at a fallen tree. Like the tree had cracked and fell, Leopardnose's knees bent and she found herself on the ground.
"Rainwhisker," She gasped, and then cried, "Rainwhisker!"
Sootpaw and Whisperingpaw took either side of their mother. They knew it was already too late. The tree had crushed him.
Tigerstar helped move the trunk from the limp, lifeless body. He helped his daughter to her feet, though she could barely stand. Blue-eyed, black-furred Sootpaw and green-eyed, grey-furred Whisperingpaw held onto each other as if their lives depended on it.
"I'm so sorry," Leopardnose sobbed, "I didn't mean it!" But she did not know if her lover could here her now.