Chapter 16 - Motives

We ended up taking that walk. A short little jaunt through the woods to calm our minds and clear our heads. We walked in silence for a while only broken by Cade saying we shouldn't go too far, as we would need to be heading out again with the group.

I pondered how I would impose the next question, and when I couldn't think of a more elegant way to be nosy, I just blurted it out.

"What's the deal with the pocket watch?"

Cade froze, and a guilty expression fleeted across his features. Liam smiled smugly at Cade's reaction and I looked from one to the other, eyebrows raised. I cleared my throat, expressing my impatience and Liam took the cue.

"Well someone's shown his true motives, eh Cade?" Liam chuckled as Cade nearly blushed with embarrassment, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Look, it isn't what you think, I did want to help you out, it was just a bonus okay?"

I was even more confused as I realized Cade was directing the comment at me.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I responded, more intrigued by the minute.

"Well if you won't explain it to her, I will." Liam turned to me and continued, "There's a pocket watch that has been rather iconic on the island. We don't have many reminders of the past, Pan likes to keep it that way, but what we had on us when we were brought here, we got to keep. The pocket watch is among very few possessions on Neverland that was carried over from our former lives. It's bounced around from a few of the boys but ultimately ends up with Nate every time."

"I even heard a crocodile swallowed it at one point!" Cade added enthusiastically.

"I'm not sure if that's true..." Liam frowned.

"Who does it belong to?" I inquired.

"That's the thing, its been so long that no one really remembers. I'm pretty sure Nate stole it from the original owner, but he's the only one who knows who that is. A few of the other boys have claimed that its theirs so one can never be sure." Responded Liam.

"That's kind of sad." I mumbled.

"Its just a petty game that's been going on for centuries." Cade laughed uncomfortably.

"Wait....so Nate had the watch in his satchel, and you wanted to play that prank on him so that you could get the watch?" I started connecting the dots as I spoke.

"Maybe..." Cade looked down at his feet, then looked back up at me and blurted, "but I wasn't sure he had it in his satchel when I came up with the plan, he keeps it in his pocket sometimes."

"Oh rubbish! He was going hunting, you knew he wouldn't take it with him. I am surprised he didn't think to check his satchel when he came back though." Liam mused.

"Sometimes he hides it other places in his tent." Cade paused, realizing what he just said.

"Let me guess, you've been snooping around in his tent before?" Liam drawled.

"A few times...unsuccessfully." Cade grinned sheepishly.

"So, you never wanted to help me?" I tried to contain the hurt in my voice.

"No, no!" Cade stumbled over his words trying to explain but failing to do so. "Look, it wasn't like that...I mean it was, but...but its different now."

It was hard not to drop my guard at the pitiful look he was giving me, but I couldn't deny that I was hurt at his previous motives. Seeing that I was upset, Cade fumbled in his cloak pocket and drew out a small golden disk, holding it out to me hesitantly. I looked down at the round object in his upturned palm and back to his face.