Chapter One - New Home

Denali had wanted a new life and a new home. A place where she wasn't just the kid who had watched her parents die. She had finally settled and found a home in this remote place.

It was owned by a billionaire and was his winter home. He left his staff to care for it during the summer and they had a handyman opening. It was a dream job. Room and board plus a decent pay and close enough she could continue her college degree at the local college.

The only downside was still being involved in the paranormal world. She had wanted nothing to do with it after their deaths. She would tolerate for a while now though. She had to if her dreams were going to come true. Denali had settled in her new home easily. Rhetta, her boss, had also become a good friend.

"Can I have everyone's attention." Rhetta said as she came in to where Denali and her co-workers sat eating lunch.

" I have just received word that Mr. Kenald will be paying us an unexpected visit." She said and the room came alive with whispers.

Denali knew it was because he had only recently hired to staff for his retreat and many of the staff members had never met the elusive boss that all employed them. Denali didn't care, as long as he didn't increase their work load and interfere with her school.

"We need to get the house in perfect order before he arrives." Rhetta said as the whispers grew louder.

"I have added new tasks to everyone's work schedule. Please check it before you go home." She told them. How strange he was coming to his winter cabin in the middle of summer. Denali thought.

Denali had been assigned to cleaning the rooms upstairs, as well as the library. She immediately started after her lunch. She paid extra attention to the cleaning to make sure she didn't miss anything. She was halfway through the library when she heard a commotion from downstairs. She immediately went to peak over the railing and see.

A man stood in the middle of the living room below. He was nearly twice her side and all muscle. He had light black hair and blue eyes and something about him made her stare in wonder. Who was he? Judging by his suit, he was someone important.

"Rhetta. I want to know." His voice said, very tense.

"We have many new staff members. She has to be one of them." Rhetta answered and he relaxed some. But Rhetta's voice wasn't confident, Denali noted.

"You have met everyone else and felt nothing." Rhetta added.

Just as she finished her sentence, the man's head suddenly turned as he took a deep breath. He reminded Denali of a wolf tracking a scent as he turned his head one direction, then another, seemingly tracking some unseen scent.

When he turned Denali's direction, she stepped back in fear. Doing so took her out of his line of sight and she immediately breathed a sigh of relief. The last thing she wanted to do was get caught ease dropping on her boss or customers depending on his identity.

Denali then turned and walked back to the library in thought. That man made her feel strange. Did she like him? It was an unfamiliar feeling, so she wasn't sure. The only thing she knew for sure was that she felt something strange, an emotion she was not familiar with, stir when she looked at him.

Denali never noticed men or had any interest in them. It had been easy before now. Ignore them and for the most part, they ignored you. She didn't want to be involved in them or love. Mom had trusted love and dad had shot her, then himself. Her father would have Denali to if she hadn't of listened to her mom and hid.

She was just leaving the library when she heard a giggle. Recognizing it as Xena's she immediately turned around and headed back the way she had come. She wasn't fast enough to avoid the brown eyed, brown haired, self-proclaimed model though.