Chapter Fourteen - Shifted Life

The wolf had no other information, so Diego let him go as he and his men turned to head back to the house and likely gather any they could. Silently, Denali wondered how much Rhetta and Takota had told him. He had known about her perfume and came to the same conclusion as her.

Diego immediately begun to call others as soon as they got for the cabin. From what she overheard from a few of the conversations, she knew he was gathering as many wolves as he could to help. She knew it was likely that the ones he was calling was members of their pack. Did they have a royal guard or something that would come to their aid?

She knew little of the wolf's world, but she did know that he was a respected alpha. She supposed it made sense when he had the money and time to contribute to one. Runing a pack was hard and only those with money and time could do so. Owning one of the most profitable companies in the country would make him the most eligible.

Denali laid under the table when the first few arrived. They were younger but looked eager to help. She also understood why so many she-wolves had a hard time walking away from their own people. When compared to humans, wolf shifters muscles were more refined. Seems all male wolf shifters were all muscle and very little fat on their bodies. They were what Denali would imagine any woman, human or shifter, would want. As she considered these thoughts, they noticed her.

The new arrivals eyed her curiously from where she laid under the table and Diego knew he was using her as an excuse to gather as many as he could. If it brought Takota back to her, then whatever. She didn't care. The truth would come out eventually.

Denali dozed as more arrived. For some strange reason, she trusted Diego to keep her safe. Maybe that was because he was Takota's best friend. Maybe it was a pack bond or something. She had heard male shifters talk about it a time or two.

From what she had heard, a pack made you feel safe and calmed you when your temper threatened to consume you. She had heard of males losing themselves to their anger and a pack bond pulling them back and calming their anger. Would she be part of the pack now? Or was she already?

Night crept into the valley as they discussed battle strategies. Some of them would go with Denali and they would try a diplomatic solution first. If it came to a fight, then the rest of the wolves would join from where they hid nearby.

Apparently, there was a wolf council that laws were followed and to obey the law, they were legally obligated to try a diplomatic solution, though everyone knew that it wouldn't work. Denali did wonder if after this over, this council would help them create and distribute the perfume.

Regardless, the lives of their people would soon be changed once it was discovered there was a way for females to awaken their wolves. Would that mean that someday, when the she-wolves gave birth, would their female pups already have their wolves?

"Come on, little one." Rhetta's voice woke her sometime later. Denali then realized Diego was the only male left and likely didn't want to leave her alone. Denali came out from under the table to follow Rhetta.

Rhetta took her to her room and Denali immediately jumped on the bed to fall asleep once again. Moments later, Rhetta turned off the lights and crawled in next to her, somehow knowing being alone was the last thing Denali wanted.

Denali woke to the smell of frying food and immediately jumped off the bed to wonder, leaving Rhetta to sleep. She likely needed her sleep Denali reasoned when she had smelled Rhetta wearing the perfume. Now that they knew the process, it likely wouldn't take as long and Denali could already smell her scent changing to one that resembled those of male wolf shifters.

She found Diego and a few other wolves cooking breakfast. She heard many more then the night before out on the lawn sparing also. How big was the pack? How many of their kinds were there and how many packs? Where their numbers depleting with, she-wolves turning away, feeling isolated without wolves.

She immediately went to Diego and nudged him with her nose. He made a startled noise before he turned and gave her a soft smile when he saw her.

"Hello, Luna." He said as he turned back around, and she sensed the other two wolve in the room stiffen, before they turned to look at her.

Luna had become the nickname for the alpha females of packs. The name sounded strange to her ears, but all she wanted was the food. When she nudged him again, this time with more aggression, he smiled before he grabbed a plate. He then put some of the eggs, sausage and bacon they had been cooking on it.

She immediately dug into it the moment he set her plate on the ground. They were likely making food for everyone that had arrived, she realized. She could get used to these decent meals, instead of canned soup, or whatever she could eat to get by and not spend a lot.

After she ate, she rubbed her side against his legs in thanks and he immediately smiled again before she went to the door and opened it by hooking her paw on it. Luckily, this door didn't require thumbs to open. It only required you to push down on the nob. That was likely on purpose though, so a wolf could get in without having to shift if they were being followed or anything.

The moment she stepped out, all eyes turned to her, and all movement stilled. She snorted in annoyance before she went to the first sparring pair and chose the bigger of the two. She then gave a small growl, challenging him. He seemed unsure for a moment, then made his decision and made a challenging noise back.

He charged her moments later, but she had learned speed while hunting and immediately jumped to the side. He came after her in seconds and spun when she did, but she was to fast again. She easily dodged. Again, he missed as amusement rose inside her. Try another strategy, she silently coached.

The next time he charged, he anticipated her dodge, and his teeth found her mane. She turned her face away moments later and begun to push him as he tried to get her to submit, so he would win the match. She had learned to deal with pain though and more importantly, think through it. He was so focused on her though, he had forgotten to keep track of his surroundings and bearings, and it would cost him.

As he tried to get her to submit, she pushed him farther sideways. Her aim was the creek that lined the field they spared on. It also had a drop on either side of the banks where the higher water levels of spring had washed away parts of the sediments and created a bank.

The wolf let out a startled whine as soon as he slipped. He then let go in panic and fell into the water. She knew the fight had left him the moment he had. He immediately jumped back up with them, then made his way to the cabin. She knew he would want to clean off all the mud he was likely covered in.

After her match, she looked over to see the other wolves watching her. She then made her way back to the cabin and sat on the porch to watch the others. Her curiosity was sedated for now. She had been curious to find out how much she had really learned about this new body and how she measured up to males. She had learned enough to hold her own, for now, that would do.

The other wolves returned to sparing after she had laid there a few minutes. Denali found it fascinating to watch them. They did seem to be seasoned warriors and they gave her hope that they could truly pull this off and get him back.

"It's not every day a new wolf throws one of our best fighters into the crick." Deigo suddenly said behind her with amusement. She didn't turn, just continued to watch the other's spar.

"Rhetta is already showing signs of her wolves' presence. Thank you." He said in a gentler voice and her attention tuned.

"She insists we use her as proof to the council that Xena is lying, but I don't think it's safe. Takota and I have always done our best to protect our childhood friend and this will be dangerous." He explained to her. She immediately rose and went into the house to find Rhetta.

"You're not changing my mind, just like we couldn't change yours to stay here." Rhetta immediately said when Denali nudged her door open.

Denali immediately jumped on her bed and laid down with a small sigh. Rhetta somehow understood and nodded, satisfied. Denali wouldn't stop her if she wanted to, and Rhetta knew it. Perhaps it wouldn't come to fighting.