Chapter 4 (excerpt)

...

I dip my fingertips into the cream that I fished out of a drawer and get on my knees in front of the bed so that our faces are leveled together. She shakes her head, not but hisses when the icy substance strokes her skin, over those adorable little freckles that have invaded it. And it is then that I notice the color of eyes. It is then that I stare into them in bright lighting, and feel my heart thump against my ribcage wildly.

Green. The most beautiful, rich green. She looks like a painting. Like this beautiful oil painting, with vibrant colors that have erupted all over her. Her freckles are tiny but their color stands out over her pale casting, and her lashes are thin but long, and she batters them seductively, making every muscle in my body tighten, leaving me breathless and panting for air. Every time I see her, I study her more and more, and the more I study her, the more... beautiful she looks. I notice a little cut on the bridge of her nose, slightly to the right, but it's not fresh. It looks really old. Almost like it's been years since she's gotten it and somehow it has left a mark. Her eyebrows aren't as thin and dramatic as all the other women. They're natural and untouched. Quite unusual. Just like herself. I spread the thick ointment atop her cheek on the whole red spot and suddenly, as I continue to study her, a flash of a smile runs through. But not with her lips, or face. But with her eyes. The vibrate, deep green brightens but not even for a second because soon, it's gone and left me wondering if I even saw it in the first place. She looks down and suddenly, I notice how uncomfortable she is from her uptight posture. "Listen..." I begin, still mesmerized by her. "...I'm gonna give you a change of clothes because it's getting colder outside, you're gonna put them on- don't worry, I'll give you privacy- and then I'm going to take you somewhere that you'll feel better in. Does that sound okay?" And with the same bewildered look, she nods affirmatively, giving me the permission I so desperately must have.