Chapter Seven - The Aftermath

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke with a start, taking huge gulps of air that I didn’t actually need to take. Images from the ambush atop the tower flooded my mind, and I waited for the pain of the injuries I knew I sustained. There was nothing. No pain, no stiffness. Upon inspection, there weren’t even any wounds. Even my nose—where I’d gotten nicked by that one arrow—was void of injury. What exactly happened...?

“Your eyes have finally opened.”

I snapped my head in the direction of the voice, startled to see Morrigan walking towards me. She was carrying a bowl of something, smiling that creepy smile she and her mother shared. I watched her, speechless, as she placed the bowl on the end table beside the bed I was laying on.

“Mother would like to speak with you, now that you’ve rested up.”

“What happened?” She hesitated a little too long for my liking. “Morrigan. Tell me what happened.”

“You remember my name!” she gasped in obvious mock surprise. “’Tis a first for me.”

“Morrigan,” I growled.

“Yes, alright,” she hissed, waving her hands at me as I started to get out of the bed. “Even without your silly little knives, I’ve no doubt you could do some damage to me. Sit.”

I glared at her, trying to get her to answer my question before I sat back down again. Unfortunately, she had the same amount of stubbornness that I did. She crossed her arms, arched her eyebrows, and popped out one of her hips while her eyes continuously darted to the bed. After a moment of this, I folded, throwing myself back against the pillows. With a content expression, she began.

“The man who was supposed to join your army abandoned your king. Your army lost the battle.” My jaw dropped, and as I was about to protest, she silenced me with her hand. “I do not know why this man did such a thing, ‘tis all I know.”

“But...Why would....Why?” I brought my hands up to my temples, eyes searching the odd pattern of the quilt I was lying under for answers. It was simply baffling. “It had been his idea...The ambush, the beacon...all of it...”

“Men are creatures that should never be trusted,” Morrigan stated simply as she dabbed a wet cloth on my forehead. She chuckled at the scowl I gave her. “You cannot really be that surprised.”

“Good men died in that battle, Morrigan.” She merely smirked, clearly uncaring of the fate the men met. I cleared my throat and attempted to change the subject. “So how bad are my wounds?”

“Mother patched you up with her medicine,” Morrigan replied, dabbing the cloth again. “She is a far better healer than she is company, that is for sure.”

“So I can leave?”

Morrigan gave me a look that could only be described as both curious yet puzzled. She placed the cloth back into the basin before giving me her full attention. “Why so eager?”

“I’m alone. Again. And if the Teyrn did this, he has to be stopped.”

“I do not know this Teyrn man, but—”

“That’s beside the point,” I grumbled. Why did it matter if she knew who he was? It didn’t; exactly. “I just need to ask one favor.” I swung my legs to the edge of the bed, not ready to attempt standing. “Can you point me to the nearest town? I will need supplies if I’m going to track down Loghain.”

“I’m sure your friend can give you the directions you need.”

My heart and mind came to a halt. “M-My friend?”