Tools

As well as it is important to have poportions, it is also important to have the right materials. For example.

Say you sketched out this really cool or really cute piece of art. Now, you want to put it into color. First things first. The tools.

Say you want to paint it.

Find what you are comfortable with. I prefer acrylic. It dries fast, easy to manipulate, and you can make it a wash and use it like watercolor, minuse the two hours dry time. I'm also impatient, so it works in my favor valuably. However, you also have to keep in mind its cons. Because it dries faster than watercolor, you have to work quickly, otherwise your brush strokes will be visible. Once it dries, there's no going back, so if you use acrylic, best to be a fast painter. Also, it doesn't come off clothes. So best to keep anything cloth related away from acrylic.

Watercolor, tempura and oil (there's more, I just don't remember) are all used VERY different.

Watercolor, tempura and acrylic are all paints called "water based" meaning you just need water to use and wash them out of brushes, cups, tabletops, hard wood floors, extra. however, as I mentioned before, acrylic cannot come out of anything cloth related. So stay away from carpet and don't wear that fancy silk shirt to paint your pictures.

Oil paint is the most common known form of "oil based paints".  This means that you have to use an oil thinner if you don't want your paint too thick or to wash it out of your brushes. It also takes forever to dry. Now, I've never personally used oil paints, its never been my cup of joe. (Speaking of joe, im dying for coffee but it's like, 3 in the morning.) Oil can be great to use, fun to play with, and is the oldest used medium known to man. Even the great Picasso, Michaelangelo, Leonardo de vinci (most well known oil painter thanks to the lovely Mona Lisa) and Donatello used oil paintings. (No, not the turtles, the guys the turtles were named after.)

Now, after the paint, the pallet. This can be anything from a piece of cardboard to your arm. (Don't use your arm, it was simply a reference.) Its good to have a variety, and several, of pallets.

(I have a picture but its covering text, so it'll be at the end waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down there! √√√√)

Next to consider are your brushes. Its best to have a variety of brushes as seem below. (One brush is wet because I've already started on the next lesson...)

Brushes are cheap, I literally spent like, $7 for this set at walmart

Brushes are cheap, I literally spent like, $7 for this set at walmart. (I could've bought the set separately for about $8 so I actually saved.) When they say quality doesn't count, THEY LIE.

Brush quality means better handling. But that doesn't mean go and buy the most expensive brushes you can get your hands on.

Price doesn't equal quality. Now, that also doesn't mean go and buy the crappiest, cheapest brushes out there. Spend a decent amount on a good set of brushes, and depending how often you use them, replace them often. I don't mean use them till the tips are frayed and throw them out. those old brushes may give you a style or texture that is what you could need.

Above is a picture of what each of the brushes do

Above is a picture of what each of the brushes do. This list comes with EVERY pack of brushes that has a set variety.  Its imperative that you, as an artist, to become familiar with each brush. Work with each brush to get the feeling for them on scrap paper, not your canvas.

Speaking of canvas, you as an artist need to determine how well you lay your art on a variety of sizes. I personally work best on a 11"x14" canvas when painting, however I work best on a 5.5"x8.5" sheet of paper, or, a standard sketch book. (Honestly even then I usually only use about 1/4 of the sheet to perform my best.)

How big or how small you draw or paint really doesn't affect the size of the canvas. And your canvas can be anything. A board, sheet of paper, skin, the sidewalk, a wall the roof. You get the point. Whatever you art on is your canvas.

Say you want to use color pencil instead.

Whelp, you annoying fuck, you. use your damned colored pencils and scribbles and shit.

(Yes, I can't color with colored pencils. Ok? I prefer paint. )

But, using colored pencils requires a set of skills called pressure. Unlike paint, which requires layers, pencils require pressure for details. The cool thing about colored pencils is that you don't have to have prismacolor to make an outstanding picture. (Go watch jazzas colored pencil challenge on YouTube DONT FORGET TO MENTION ME! :3)

I haven't really got much more besides the usual pencils, mechanical pencils, eraser and eraser quality, thats about it for me. Next lesson will probably be mostly me showing you guys how I paint a picture as I work on my secret santa gifts for the family.

HOPE THIS HELPS ALL YOU GUYS

VOTE
COMMENT
SHARE.

but most importantly

KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR NEW CHAPTERS ILL BE USING MY YOUTUBE PROBABLY WITHIN THE NEXT TWO MONTHS! :3