Attack of the Golems

As soon as Jack lost touch with Curiosity, Mace and the others headed for the castle gate. As usual, the portcullis was up and there were only two guards, both standing at ease with their swords sheathed. They stood a little straighter when they saw the four men approaching, but looked at them with interest and no fear. Aldarea was a peaceful country and it wasn't odd for two guardians to come to the castle. Mace wondered if things would change after all this was over.

"We need to speak with Captain Richard immediately," Mace said.

The two guards looked at each other, then called for another one to take the message. Ryan engaged in small talk with them while they waited, but Mace was too keyed up, pacing back and forth. Fifteen long minutes passed before Richard strode into view. When he did, the look on his face made Mace wonder if this was such a good idea. He face was like stone, no emotion at all.

"Richard," Mace said warily.

Richard stopped ten feet away. "Do I know you?" The words were flat, disinterested.

Something was obviously wrong with him, but Mace didn't have the time or inclination to find out what. "I met you about three weeks ago," he said. "I was a dog at the time. The Wiemaraner that wasn't good enough to be a hunting dog."

"Mace, right?" There was still no emotion in his face or voice. "I see you managed to get un-spelled."

"We need to talk. Alone and immediately."

"Can't this wait? It's not a good time."

"No, it really can't. We've already wasted enough time waiting for you to get there," Mace growled, his patience snapping.

Richard looked briefly startled. "I was in the stables. It took Cary a little while to find me." He shook his head. "Why am I explaining this to you?"

"Richard! Talk. Alone and immediately!"

Richard hesitated, then motioned them forward. Mace and Ryan walked through the gate, but Tobias and Jack stopped at the entrance.

"We can't come in," Tobias said in frustration. "I knew Jack couldn't, but I thought I might be able to."

"Wishful thinking," Jack said.

Richard eyed them warily. "There's nothing I can do about that. The Royal Warlock is not here to let you in."

Mace was getting impatient. "Then you come out here. They might need to add something."

Richard shrugged and they all walked about twenty feet from the gate and the guards. The sunlight was fading quickly, but there was still enough light for Mace to see the others' faces. Ryan was restless, ceaselessly flipping a small knife. Tobias searched the surroundings with steady eyes, on the constant look out for Larah. Jack just looked bored. Richard stopped walking and turned to face them, fists clenched at his sides. Whatever was going on with him, he was barely holding it in. "What is this all about? It had better be important." He paused and stared hard at Mace. "Where's Curiosity? Does this have something to do with her?"

"Of course it has something to do with her!" Mace nearly shouted. "This whole thing is crazy and dangerous, so of course Cat is in the middle of it!"

"Mace." Jack's voice was like a whip, bringing Mace back to himself.

"Sorry," he muttered. He took a deep breath and cut right to the chase. "Anna's in danger. The duke that has been hanging around her is a golem. It wants to marry her, then steal the Aldarean Crystal. It planned on slipping her a love potion."