two

It was Friday and time for Justin's welcome back dinner. I wasn't sure whether it was casual or formal.

I decided to call Mrs. Hale.

“Carmen?” she asks, picking up the phone, sounding confused.

“Hi Mrs. Hale,” I reply. “What is the dinner? Casual or formal.”

“Either, Carmen,” she says. “Is that all?”

“Yeah, see you at 7:00”

“See you.”

I pick out a semi-formal outfit. I get out a turtleneck and jeans that made my legs look good. I nod as if in approval.

“You look beautiful.”

I gasp and jump. “Oh my God, Mom. Do not scare me like that.”

She smiles. “You should leave in a couple minutes if you don't want to be late.”

I nod and she leaves. I drag a comb through my plain brown hair. It was straight and boringgg. I decided on a side braid.

 Then I go to my bag and put in my phone in my bag. I put my hair in a side braid and put on a black fedora. I loved fedoras. Swipping on lip gloss, I headed for the door.

I get in my car and drive to the restaurant and find Justin and his mom talking outside. I approach them.

“Hey guys.” I hug each of them in turn and we head inside. Mrs. Hale gets us a table and the waitress comes.

“Hi, I'm Peni and I'll be your server tonight. Would you like a drink to start you guys off?” she asked.

I noticed how she only looked at Justin. I glanced at my friend. He was very hot but I never really thought of him like that.

He flashed a flirtatious smile back – gag me – and said, “I'd like an orange soda.”

“Okay,” she said brightly, batting her eyelashes. She turned to Mrs. Hale and less enthusiastically. “What would you guys like?”

“Sprite,” I say.

“Root beer,” Mrs. Hale replied.

Peni walks away and I stick a finger down my throat. Justin hits me playfully.

“What?” he asks.

“She's a total flirt,” I said.

“Is someone jealous?” he asks.

I open my mouth and shut it. “No.”

He smiles. “You are.”

“Not.”

“Are.”

“Not.”

“Are.”

“JUSTINNN!” I said. “Am not!”

He laughs and we get our drinks with another flirty smile to Justin. Gag me pleaseeee. Also I think when Justin got his drink, I think I saw a piece of paper. Justin picks it up and opens it. It had a number.

“'Hey, I just met you and this is crazy but here's my number so call me maybe'!” I sang.

Justin glares at me.

“What?” I ask.

He laughs and we order food now.

“So Justin,” I start. “You gonna call her maybe?”

He shakes his head. “She is a bubblehead and doesn't have a personality probably.”

His mom shakes her head. “Justin Wyatt Hale, be nice.”