SEVEN - addicted

Outdoor movies.

Yeri was sure those were long gone by now, since the seventies or eighties, maybe, but sure enough, they were still a thing, as Jeongguk had proved by finding a showing and driving her there one night soon after.

He backed in so the screen was facing the rear of the car, and Yerim frowned. "Jeongguk, what're you —"

"Hold on. I'll show you," he said with a smile, hopping out of the driver's seat and opening the trunk, digging around in it some. She smiled curiously and walked to the trunk where he was, and he had arranged pillows and blankets for them to relax on during the movie. He even strung lights on the top that were dim so that they were there but calming.

He already knew her extremely well.

Everything was a little awkward, for now, in her mind at least, because they had been officially dating for a while now, but hadn't kissed, or for that matter, had much physical contact at all, and definitely no one had even mentioned the l word yet. She was still nervous around him. She didn't know why.

Not a half an hour into the movie, she felt Jeongguk rest his head on the pillow right beside her, and she looked over, curious, just to see his lips pouted and his eyes closed. She smiled, but tapped him. "Jeongguk..... Jeongguk, wake up, we're only thirty minutes into the movie, Ggukie," she laughed, and he stirred, realizing she was talking, and he smiled, his eyes still halfway shut.

"What?" he asked, and then laughed, deliriously. Yeri frowned. He was acting weird.

Whatever, maybe it was just because he was tired.

So she decided to let him be, turning her gaze back toward the movie screen. But she felt him grab her arm, and she looked down at him again.

"Wait, lay back again. That way I can get a better view....."

"I wasn't even in your way, Jeongguk —" she began, and he suddenly started to gag. Immediately alarmed, her eyes darted around the back of the car to find something — she just turned the plastic bag upside down with the snacks in it, letting everything tumble out as she brought it over to Jeongguk, holding it under him. She stared, waiting and anxious, as he sat there, staring blankly forward.

Then he lurched forward, his back arched as he threw up right into the bag she was holding below him.

What the..... was he drunk?

No, he couldn't be, because the whole rest of the evening he had been fine. And even when she got up to go to the bathroom once, he couldn't have gotten drunk in that short amount of time. And as far as she knew, he hadn't even had one single sip of anything that entire day.

He continued to vomit into the barf bag, and to avoid more looks and staring from the others on the site, she reached forward and shut the trunk so that it was just the two of them, sitting in the back together.

When finally he slowed and then eventually stopped all in all, he took a deep breath, shaking in his skin. Her eyebrows drew together, concerned for the man.

"Jeongguk, are you —"

"I'm fine," he dismissed with a wave of his hand, staring at the trunk floor, "It happens sometimes. I just get a little nauseous."

She nodded slowly, watching him still as he made a pained expression, then looked over at her, making direct eye contact. His beautiful coffee eyes were slightly bloodshot, his pupils tiny like she'd never seen them before..... on anyone, that is, at least that she had ever noticed. Weird.

"Jeongguk, seriously....."

"Yerim," he stated ominously, and her heart skipped a beat as the serious look in his eyes grew more intense when he spoke. He remained holding eye contact. "There's something..... something you should know."

She let out a tiny gasp, shushing herself so she wouldn't overwhelm him or stress him any more, laying a hand on his wrist, grasping his forearm lightly, and then harder as she spoke. "What is it? Tell me, Jeongguk!"

"Okay! I am. I promise. Now just keep in mind, I hadn't told you yet because. Well. Um..... I didn't want to lose you, in short. Basically that's what I'm trying to say."

"Lose me? Why would you lose me?"

"Because." He took a deep breath, scanning her eyes for any fear or other emotion. "I have a little bit of an issue. An... well, an addiction," he let out the last part slowly, cringing and bracing himself for her response.

"An addiction?"

"Yes. An addiction."

"Wait a second...

Drugs?! What kind - I mean —"

"Just some... powder," he admitted sheepishly, slowly pushing the last word out of his mouth. "Sometimes," he butted in quickly, assuringly.

"Oh, Jeongguk."