Chapter 12: A Comforting Fire

Winnipeg. December 24th. Late evening.

Inside Beverlee's domicile, there was a soft hum of a dishwasher running - cleaning plates, bowls, cutlery and more that had been used for a hearty feast and celebration, that had been served earlier.

It was muffled by the sounds of crackling and sparking from a wood-fire, which blazed cheerily in the ample fireplace on the big-screen television. It gave a lovely ambiance along with several battery-operated tea lights and strands of indoor Christmas lights for mood lighting - all set up within a pillow fort constructed in the living room, built around a pull-out sofa bed.

Inside the pillow fort, there was discarded gift wrapping, a bowl of pre-wrapped chocolates, a plate of gingerbread cookies, mugs of tea... and two people.

Sitting up on the bed, both of them in their pajamas, under the covers, Beverlee and Loki were reading books. They were a gift they gave to each other. Loki was reading 'The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz' and Beverlee was reading the latest 'Murdoch Mysteries' novel.

Occasionally they would glance up from their books, look at each other and smile. Beverlee would reach out and caress his back, while Loki would put his arm around her waist, giving her an affectionate squeeze.

Beverlee's smartphone vibrated on the mattress. She picked it up, curious about the notification. It was a text from Tony Stark saying 'officially approved' with an emoji of deer.

Beverlee smiled to herself, as the emoji was Stark's nickname for Loki.

Reindeer Games.

She put the phone back down and returned to her book.

Then, her watch beeped on the hour.

It was midnight.

Putting down their books, their arms encircled each other, ensuing in a very warm and loving embrace.

"Happy Yule, Loki."

"Happy Yule, Beverlee."

Then they went back to reading.

Outside, snow began to fall...

*************

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

I want to again thank Mark for creating this challenge, or I wouldn't have had something to post for the holidays! It truly was a challenge, as I had my own in my personal life - but Mark kept encouraging me! When someone believes in you like that, I had the courage and strength to press on. It felt great to finish this work (and also take a different direction with a story)!

Thanks to Michele P. who is a retired nurse - she was my medical consultant.

Thanks to Don H. my other half for proofreading and offering advice to help me make this story even better.

Cover art is a re-edit from lokis_peach on Instagram.

FOR THE READERS:

Thank you to those who read my first chapter of "My Friend Loki: The Price You Pay" - and kept reading!

Thank you to those who continue to encourage me.

Thank you to those who recommend my works to their friends and continue to spread the word...

Thank you to everyone who has taken time out of their day to read it.

Thank you to everyone who has sent me honest and kind words - it means more than you know.

And, the most important thank you...THANK YOU to every single one of you who have supported me from day one. You've inspired me to continue to go after my dreams. You've brightened dark days. You helped me to believe that I can do anything I set my mind to and you've helped me achieve what I once thought was impossible.

For that and for all of you - I will be forever grateful.

Wishing you all Happy Holidays, and a FAB New Year!