Twenty-six

Gail's eyes widened when she saw Dena's "9:30" arriving: Two men - the first, a tall blond; the second, a rather short, younger man with curly black hair - struggled to restrain a giant schnauzer. Gail, having been the clinic's receptionist for years, was familiar with the sight of reluctant dogs being tugged toward the building; this dog was heading full speed for the door as if he couldn't get there fast enough, and she was pretty sure she knew him...

The younger man reached out and flung open the door as the dog barreled forward; at the same moment, Rosalinda Smythe-Bonynge emerged from the exam room with Hansel. The dachshund's hackles rose at the sight of the large gray dog, creating a dark stripe of raised fur down the length of his back.
"Rrrff! Rrrr..."
"Hansel!" Rosalinda encircled the small dog's long snout with her dainty hand and authoritatively told him, "Be quiet! Stop it!"
Hansel stopped. The other dog was ignoring him anyway, so there was no point in continuing his false declaration of dominance.

Dena, behind Rosalinda, let out a gasp. Gail spilled her coffee and hastily grabbed a tissue to mop up the dribble from the desk.
"Norman! Norman - where have you been?!" Dena slipped behind Rosalinda, knelt, and threw her arms around the ecstatic dog - who was pawing at her and whimpering while wagging his tail wildly. Paul turned to Perry, smiling, and remarked,
"Looks like Norman has already been identified. What are the chances we'd bring him to a clinic where his owner works?"

Dena looked up from her crouching position, eyebrows quirked, and inquired curiously,
"How did you determine so quickly that he's my dog?"
"Oh," Paul replied, smiling, "it's obvious. He knew you'd be here - we couldn't hold him back! And your reaction to him was very personal."

Rosalinda still stood before the reception desk, watching in delight. Hansel had, for once, the good sense to be a silent observer.
"Oh, this is wonderful! I'm so glad for you," the petite woman gushed. Then she frowned a little, drawing her perfectly groomed black eyebrows together.
"You know - I wonder if Hansel and Wilford had something to do with Norman's disappearance..."
"What? Why would you think that?" Dena asked incredulously, standing up but continuing to caress the furry gray head. The feisty little dachshund and the pompous man made an undesirable duo, but they surely had nothing to do with Norman leaving his yard!

Rosalinda set her oversize white leather tote down in a relatively clear space on Gail's desk and clasped Hansel around his middle.
"I just came back on Saturday from a visit home to the Philippines. This dog," she pronounced emphatically, holding him out, "was well-behaved when I left. Wilford just doesn't remember to give Hansel enough attention when I'm gone - but he made a point of telling me that he went for a long walk with Hansel before leaving to pick me up at the airport, and that they'd had some trouble with a 'large gray'... well, his word was 'mutt'", she admitted. Turning to Norman, she told him, "You look like a purebred schnauzer to me. A handsome boy, too."
Norman wagged his whole body in appreciation.

Since there was now no need for an appointment, Paul was starting to feel irrelevant. He was pleased to be the instrument of reuniting Norman with his owner, but felt that his part was complete. He also felt that he would like to keep in touch; he had been struck by inspiration for a new design... He brought his attention back to what Norman's owner was saying as she held out her hand.

"...Dena Scott," she introduced herself. Her relatively small hand was very firm when she shook his own. He hoped he hadn't missed anything more than "I'm"...
"Paul De Laurentiis, and this is my groundskeeper Perry Penrose. He's the one who found Norman." Paul took a deep breath as Dena shook hands with the younger man. Clearing his throat hesitantly, he began,
"Hmm-mhmm - I'd like to ask you - "
"Oh! The reward - I'm sorry, I got so excited seeing Norman..."
"No, no!" Paul felt his face warm a little in embarrassment. "I'm - I don't want money from you! I have enough... Actually, I was wondering if you'd be willing to let Norman do some modeling for me."