Prologue

Watching tall tress covered in a thick white coating move past my vision at 60 miles per hour, I pull my jacket closer to my neck hoping that it will help warm me up a little more. I hear the bus driver informing us that we have now reached Washington State and should be arriving in Olympia in an hour. I look over to my mom who is next to me sleeping, her eyebrows frowning a little bit, and her head tilted towards me slightly. She's probably dreaming about the night we had two days ago. I know if I was dreaming of that night I wouldn't have a pleasant look on my face.

She shivers involuntarily and I don't blame her l. It's cold on this bus, so I decide that I should pull her cover up to her shoulders then tuck them behind her to hold it in place. It's a little difficult because I have to reach over without waking her, but the bus isn't making it easy with it's rocking motion. Eventually I achieve my goal and sit back in my seat proud of my self for being a good daughter and making sure my mom is comfortable. But my mom has different plans and decides to turn and face the aisle which causes the left side of the cover to drop down to it's starting position.

Annoyed; I roll my eyes and turn back towards the window and lean on my hand with a frown on my face. All that hard work for nothing. I take in a deep breath and as I exhale I create fog on the window. Of course me being the person that I am, I can't resist the urge not to draw something in it. So with my pointy finger I decide to draw a heart right in the middle of it.

Smiling at my work, I begin to think about what life waits ahead for my mother and I. In a way I'm happy to be able to move away but a little scared because we don't know anybody who lives here. My mother assured me that we were going to be okay and that I shouldn't worry about it to much, and that I'm only 16 years old and should only worry about school. I wouldn't expect her to want me to have to worry about this situation, but it's hard not to given the situation we're in now. Moving away from an abusive father is a scary thing especially when he doesn't know about it. A small part of me wonders what look he had on his face when he returned home to no family.

I chuckle a little bit to myself because I know truthfully that I didn't care. He deserves not to have a family in my eyes. Hell he's not even my real father so I really shouldn't care. The only person that I really cared about was my brother who we left behind. He had already graduated high school, and once he did he moved out and got away from the horrible placed we called home. He helped me and mom get away without our dad knowing it and I love him for that. I really do miss my brother a lot and wounder what and how he's feeling right now. The night we left was really hard for me because he didn't want to see us go, but he knew it would be better if we moved far away as possible.

So here we are traveling by bus, moving to another state where no one knows us. I'll have to start at a new school and make new friends. I wasn't popular at my old school, most of the girls only wanted to be friends because they liked my brother. That bothered me a lot so my trust with females just went out the window. But this time my brother wont be around so hopefully I can make some real friends. I'm hoping for great things to happen for my mother and I. Especially my mom. She's worked hard and I want her to be able to relax and know that everything is going to be okay. Deep down inside I have a feeling that moving to Washington was a great idea for me and my mother to start a new free life. So I'm ready to see what's in store for the both of us.