New School

"Allure hurry up! The bus will be there in 15 minutes and I don't want to be late." 

My mom is running around like her head is cut off gathering up everything she needs for the day. I on the other hand am on my side of the room slowly grabbing my backpack and huge puff jacket dreading going to school. I thought I would be ready to start over in a new location but to be honest I'm really nervous. What if the kids are mean and make fun of me. You know kids these days don't like anyone and can be cruel sometimes.

 Pushing those thoughts to the back of my mind, I sigh and walk to the mirror to look at myself. My chocolate covered face was a little ashy due to my morning shower, so I quickly grab the container of Vaseline on my moms dresser and apply a small amount to my face. I put my hair up in a tight ponytail and I managed to put a little mascara on my eyelashes before my mom walks over to me with her arms crossed. 

"You look fine Allure. You're still young and beautiful you don't need to worry about your looks right now.  Now hurry up or you're gonna miss your bus on your first day, and don't make me repeat myself."

I frown at myself in the mirror. Of course my mom wouldn't understand that teens my age do wear make-up everyday now. The only make-up my mom would let me wear as of now though is mascara and clear lip gloss. It's frustrating but I guess I'll just have to deal with it now until I get a job and buy my own make-up. 

Rolling my eyes, praying my mom doesn't see that,  I smile at her and pulled my backpack strap over my shoulder showing her that I'm ready to go. She shakes her head at me and puts her jacket on walking out the door.

" Good morning you both look very lovely this morning." Our neighbor in the room next to us Mrs. Sarah walked out as always ready to greet my mom and I like she does every morning. We've been living in the shelter for about a week already and Sarah is the only one so far that likes to talk to us. Well her and her boyfriend.

"Thank you Sarah you're looking very nice yourself," I say to her even though she only had on her pajamas and slippers on. She had some dried crust on the side of her cheeks probably from drooling. 

She catches me staring and smiles at me and looks to my mom, "Mrs. Green you raised a very fine young lady here. I hope my child will be as nice as her." She rubs her pregnant belly as she's saying this. My mom smiles at her and pats me on the head as if she's saying good dog. I swat her hand away and move behind her showing her that i'm ready to go.

Sarah laughs at us and says, " It's cute she's over here telling me I look nice and all and I haven't taken a shower yet this morning. I know I look rusty."

I laugh a little bit which causes my mom to glare at me. I stop immediately and put my head down praying that she doesn't smack me in the back of my head.  I can't help it if she knows she looks a hot mess.

My mom and Sarah start to talk for a little bit and I'm staring at my mom in shock because she was just rushing me to get ready so we wouldn't miss the bus. I'm sure my mom can feel my eyes burning into the back of her head as she talks, because she turns around and says, " Oh shoot we have to go it's Allura's first day of school and I don't want her to miss her bus."

We say our goodbye's and head out the door and start walking up the hills. I look at my watch and see that we have ten minutes left before the bus is suppose to pick me up. 

" Hey mom we have to get there in ten minutes or I'm going to miss the bus. Do you think we'll make it?"

"What kind of question is that of course we're going to make it. and if you miss it you'll just have to take the public bus to get there for today."