chapter eight

Chapter eight…. {Blast from the past}

‘Did someone hurt you?’

      ‘Yes.’

 ‘What happened?’

Images formed in my head as my body shook, i saw that dream, the dream i had many a night, the dream that always made me wake up at the convent screaming, it was always real and i always feel the pain like i felt it when i was very small and timid living with my grandma. I could see him again coming towards me, i backed towards the door and miscalculated and i fell hitting my head on something solid. I couldn’t let him hurt me like he use to.

        ‘Leave me alone.’ I screamed on top of my lungs as he touched my shoulder and shook me vigorously.

      He was going to take me to that horrible place again.

    ‘Leave me. I don’t want to go.’

I closed my eyes and struggled in his arms but instead of the usual hitting i felt something cold on my face.

  ‘Eve….. Eve you have to wake up…. it is me…’

I opened my eyes staring at nothing in particular, before i registered what i saw.  Stella,  the motherly maid  holding a bowl and some neatly dressed maids that i haven’t seen before and Steven on top of me tying to calm me down.

      ‘Breathe in and out….in and out……..’

‘What happened?’ the motherly maid asked.

He said nothing and gathered me in his arms bridal style ignoring their inquisitive gaze and carried me up the stairs. When he got to my room he laid me on the bed gentle.

  ‘I am sorry i freaked out in front of everyone.’  I whispered when he sat beside me.

He shook his head. ‘No, you don’t have to. Do you have those attacks frequently?’

      ‘No…..’

‘Eve i just want you to trust me….i am a doctor and i can help you.’

       ‘You can help me forget it, and make it go away?’ I asked hopefully

‘Yes, if you let me help you.’

The door opened and people came in, and soon everywhere was filed with people and i closed my eyes.

       ‘Steven what did you do to her?’ Stella asked.

‘What happened, i heard someone screamin’ and i came rushin’.’ A strange voice said.

     ‘Everybody there is no call for alarm, you can go back to your duties. Thank you…thank you…you can go now.’

    Everyone left except Stella.

‘Steven if you fool them, you can’t fool me. I met you on top of her, is she suffering from a terrible disease.’

       ‘No.’

‘Then what happened?’

‘Stella i don’t want to say this, but it is none of your business.’

      ‘What! You think i don’t care about her too? Tell me. You picked up a girl in a market brought her to your home without knowing anything about her. Does that sound right to you? If she has any disease it affects us to because it is contagious.’