Belladonna

Chapter 10: Belladonna

The next morning, before the sun has even completely peeked over the horizon, I get up and creep out of the room. POGs is still sleeping, curled up on his corner of the large mattress so my exiting doesn’t prove that difficult.

I find Prints on the couch again, one arm draped over his eyes.

Tip toeing past him, I go to the door wedged between two wire racks and knock, whispering, “Haz. Haz wake up.”

There is a low moan in response, but the door remains closed.

“HAZ,” I say his name a bit louder.

“What?” his annoyed response finally comes, muffled and hoarse.

I knock again, “Get up.”

“Ozzie, I don’t want to-”

I give him a light slap on the cheek as soon as the door opens, effectively cutting him off, “THAT’S for leaving me with POGs.”

“Whah…?” his hand comes up to prod the now red part of his face. His tone is both shocked and offended.

“I want to go home and take a good old fashioned SHOWER instead of wiping myself with paper towels, my teeth really need a thorough brushing, and I simply have to change my clothes. So, I know I owe you a favor, but I’m going to ask that we take care of that AFTER I clean up. And as for POGs, great guy, but I’d much rather be with you,” I finish with a huff, blowing a strand of hair out of my face.

Haz’s expression is unreadable.

“Well?” I prompt, trying to maintain my haughty attitude.

“I…” he trails off.

Alright. This isn’t working. I sigh, “Look, I’m sorry about yesterday.”

“No, it’s fine. I just…” again, he doesn’t finish the sentence.

I purse my lips, opening them with a pop before responding, “You just?”

“Never mind.”

“Yeah. Let’s simply forget about last night and move on to getting today over with,” I tease, elbowing him with a wink.

“Did you just elbow me, honeybee?” Haz raises an eyebrow.

His tone is dead serious, but I can sense something beneath it. I had seen the cracks and now they are easier to spot. Pain isn’t what’s beneath these ones, but something much lighter.

“Yes. I’m pretty sure I did. Here, let me do it again to make sure- yup. I elbowed you.”

Suddenly, he lunges forward, throwing me over his shoulder. I give a squeal, kicking and hitting at him in a way that I know wouldn’t hurt.

“Put me DOWN!” I whisper, trying to keep quiet.

Prints, who is sleeping a mere few feet away, turns onto his side and buries his face in the couch cushions.

Haz gives me a playful swat on the bum, “You’re the one who started it.”

“Oh and I’ll FINISH it too!” I continue to wiggle around in his grasp.

“Alright! Alright,” he smothers a laugh and puts me down near the screen door. “Let’s go meet Belladonna then.”

I feel sick and offended all at once. The worst part is I don’t know why.

“I thought we agreed that we’d do that after I took a proper shower,” I protest, crossing my arms over my chest.

Haz opens the door for me, “Alright, well first off, I didn’t agree to anything. Second, it’s impossible NOT to meet her first.”