33. Anne Boleyn

La Mort et ses Merveilles

Chapter 33: Anne Boleyn

His grip tighter than ever, we rushed through the hallways, pushing past the occasional sister in the way. My heart was racing in my chest, and all I could hear was my heavy breathing and our footsteps slamming against the polished oak floors.

"Where are we going?" I asked frantically, in between breaths.

"Back door," the young man sputtered. "Then- truck."

His voice was raspy, and he seemed nearly out of breath. We reached the back door, when he leaned himself against the door to catch his breath.

"Leslie are you okay?" I asked as I held onto his hand.

The young man only grunted, before dragging me along with him outside. We made it around the back of the building, running along the side wall of the compound. It was empty, with only the two of us around. There was some shouting going on inside the convent, and I prayed that nothing had happened to Clara and Isabella. I could hear the young man's breathing getting heavier and heavier. We were almost by the corner, and the familiar blue truck should be right up ahead. I turned to look at Leslie, who didn't look so good. His face was rather pale, but he trudged on beside me, forcing himself to sprint. I was about to ask if he needed some time to rest, when he winced in pain, his hand holding his side. It must have been really intense since his legs buckled. I grabbed him and helped him stand.

The running must've aggravated the old bullet wound. After all, it had only been a month since he was shot. This was all my fault. Leslie getting shot, and the fact that he was in so much pain now, it was all my fault.

"I'm fine!" he said under his breath as he stumbled. "I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "You don't look so good."

The young man only nodded. I ignored his attempts at trying to assure me that he was okay, and brought him nearer to the wall. He seemed liked he needed it, and leaned himself against the wall. I helped him down as he sat, his knees brought to his chest.

"Look," I told him. "You stay here, I'll check around the corner."

"I can go check," he said, stubbornly trying to get up. "It's dangerous."

"Leslie, sit," I replied without thinking. "You need to rest."

Even I was shocked at how stern I sounded, and Leslie must've been too. Either way, it was enough to stop him from trying to injure himself any further. But he wasn't finished.

"If it comes to it," he said, still clutching his side. "Just leave me. Grab your sister and Clara and just go."

"Don't talk like that," I told him as I inched against the wall, stepping towards the corner. "We're all getting out of here, and I'm not going to leave you behind."

I leaned forward, peeking out of the corner. The front courtyard was quite empty, and I didn't spot any of Bradley's men. It was quite open ground with no cover, so the best bet was to run for it. It was risky, but it was the only way. But then again, there was still Isabella and Clara to think about. I don't know how we were going to get out of here together amongst this whole mess, but my best bet is that we'll rendezvous at the Bauer's house. If I recalled, I did mention the house to Clara once and marked it up on the map, so if she knew Leslie and I had already fled then her best bet was to look for us at the Bauer farmhouse. Clara was resourceful, and I figured she'd manage to acquire a car somehow -even steal it if she has to. And I knew I could trust her with my sister., they were inseparable, and I knew she'd do anything to protect her.