Part title

Axel — 22 years old — was working at the reception desk in her friend's KTV bar, Forest Fires, when she unintentionally heard a group of men discuss something.

"Are you really sure we're going to do this?" said one of the men nervously.

"Yeah. We have to grab this chance while he's drunk letting his guard down."

"Tonight, we're getting revenge from that cheeky brat who thinks he has the world in his palm."

Axel's POV

WHAT DID I JUST HEAR?! ARE THEY GOING TO COMMIT A CRIME?! WHAT IN THE WORLD SHOULD I DO?!

Crap. I have to do something. If I remember correctly those men came with a young man. I think he's the "cheeky brat" they are referring to.

I grabbed my scarf and coat from the side of the reception desk and quickly ran off to the room those men rented. I slammed open the door. There I saw a young man drinking some alcohol rather calmly with his legs crossed gracefully.

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU DRINKING THERE SO CALMLY?! YOUR LIFE IS IN DANGER!

I heard people approaching down the corridor. This isn't good. We have to get away from here quick or I'll be in danger as well. I can feel the adrenaline and panic rapidly consuming my body. Crap! Whatever happens happens!

I quickly grabbed the young man's hand and dragged him out of the bar exiting at the backdoor.

"HEY!" I heard someone shout behind me. I dare not look back who's the owner of the voice. I'm pretty positive it's from those goons.

We ran through random alleys until I saw familiar houses and shops. Lucky! This is my neighborhood! I guess we're safe here and it seems like those goons are not pursuing us anymore. I stopped running checking my surroundings if there's someone chasing us. None. Great, I can breathe now. I was busy catching my breath when someone spoke beside me.

"Excuse me but what just happened back there?" the young man asked between his breaths but his not panting as much as I am.

Oh, I totally forgot about the person I was dragging around. I let go of his hand immediately and started headed to the vending machine near us. I'm still catching my breath and I really need something to drink right now.

"Hey! Where the hell are you going?!" this time an angry and demanding tone came from the "cheeky brat". Well, I guess he's not a cheeky brat for nothing.

I stopped by the machine and picked a cola. I immediately drank the cola to quench my thirst. When I settled down, I averted my attention to the young man standing in front of me, visibly and incredibly annoyed. He's way taller than me with me being just as tall as his shoulder. He's wearing a plain black long-sleeves which are folded up to his elbows and black jeans. You could say that those are expensive clothing just from the fabric itself. He has jet black hair and eyes cold as ice. Overall, he has a beautiful face that every woman would fall in love to. But, you could feel that he's very intimidating, cold, and you could say evil. I don't know what it is but this guy is quite dangerous just by looking at him. I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard him speak again.

"Hey, woman, what the hell do you want?!" His voice was low and quiet but sharp with threatenings.

"Those old guys you are hanging with planned to do something bad to you at the KTV Bar earlier. I heard them talking about their 'plan' when they passed by the reception desk." I replied to him while pressing on the vending machine to get another drink again. This time, I got jasmine tea.

"So, you wanted to be the hero of the day by saving me?" raising his eyebrow in disbelief. "Sorry to break it to you, princess, but even without your help I am completely fine. More like, they got lucky that you dragged me out of there." He coldly said as an evil smile crept at his face.

I sighed. Well, I guess, those old guys were the ones in danger not this guy.

"Sorry that I broke your plan." I said with a hint of sarcasm in my voice. I handed him the hot canned jasmine tea. "Here. Warm yourself up."

The weather is pretty cold now. I'm surprised that he can withstand the cold without wearing any extra layers or coats to warm himself up. I untangled my scarf from my neck and gave it to him.

"A canned jasmine tea won't be enough in this cold weather. Use this to warm yourself."

He accepted the jasmine tea and scarf suspiciously.

"Come on, let's go. I'll take you to the bus stop." I said to him as I started walking. Soon enough, he started to follow me until we're walking side by side. He did not drink the jasmine tea but used it as a hot pack instead. The scarf dangled around his neck.

After a long silence, he spoke.

"So, why did you 'save' me? What do you want?" he asked accusing me like helping him was a predetermined plan of mine to get gain from him.

"I don't want anything from you." I scowled back at him. His eyebrows raised again, unconvinced.

"Oh, really? Now you're playing innocent?"

"Yeah, really. I don't have any secret intentions when I helped you." This guy is really untrusting. How many people betrayed him before to have this  so much distrust and suspicions? Thank goodness that we're almost at the bus stop so that I can finally rest in my bed.

As we closely approached the bus stop, he insistently asked again, "Then why did you, let's say, 'helped' me back then? Do you want some reward or gratitude from me? You won't have both."

I let out a deep sigh. I guess this guy has some issues. I faced him and looked him straight in the eye.

"First of all, I helped you back there just because I wanted to. No other reason. As for the reward and gratitude, I never asked for those. Reward and gratitude does not concern whether I'll do something or not. I just do something simply because I want to." I firmly and clearly said to him as much as I can to convey my intentions.

He just looked straight back at me. I can't read his mind but seeing that he has no further reply, I think my intentions are conveyed even if it's just a little.

"Well, then, I'll take my leave here." I bowed a little at him before turning around and started heading home.

—————
Author's Narration

As Axel walked away from the bus stop. The young man's gaze followed Axel until she was out of sight. A small smile formed on the young man's face.

"Interesting."

Just as he muttered that, a black car pulled over by the bus stop. A middle-aged man got out from the driver's seat of the car and quickly opened the door of the back passenger seat and slightly bowed to the young man.

"Sir, everything has been taken care of."

"Good. Let's go back."

The young man entered and the car went off.

"Kevin, I want you to get me all the information you can get on that woman." the young man commanded to the middle-aged man who was driving.

"Yes, sir."