Chapter 1

7 years old (Nadia P.O.V)

Nights like these, are the worse. No where to sleep, and it was cold as hell. Almost nobody was out on these streets but homeless folks and drug addicts looking for something to snort. There was also some hookers standing in thin lingerie, you might as well say they have no clothes on.

The sidewalk was a little icy and so was the grass. Snow fell from the sky and from time to time landed on my nose. I walked until I came across a small tunnel. It was dark and empty but it would do for tonight.

With nowhere else to go and nothing else to do, I slid inside and carefully crawled over the broken glass. Digging through my bag I grabbed my fleece blanket and set it on the ground before having a seat. My aching legs screamed from the soreness of walking and my feet begged to be rubbed, but I couldn't tend to them. If anything happened I needed to be prepared to run.

Leaning my head against the wall I tried not to cry, I tried holding it in but the hot waters escaped. Everything came crashing down on me. I'm all alone now in this world, no family, no friends, no nothing. I don't know how I will survive in the cold all alone. I'm so afraid. I don't know what'll happen next.

Whipping my tears and sniffing I breathed in and out to calm myself. My breath turning to fog in the still cold air. I huddled my jacket closer around me and tried closing my eyes to relax a little so I could sleep.

Just as I was about to fall asleep I heard a loud bang. I jolted up, my heart pounding away in my chest like a monkey banging on a cage, and looked towards the entrance of the small tunnel. I stood up and gathered my things preparing to take a run. Just then someone came running in the tunnel. It looked like a man about 31.

He was running and fast, I didn't know what from but I had a feeling from something bad, so I stood up and ran quickly and hid behind some black barrels but I was still able to see through a crack.

"Don't let that nigga get away!" I heard another guy's voice yell. I huddled closer to the wall afraid of what might happen.

Suddenly another loud boom sounded throughout the area. I covered my ears with my hands as the guy running screamed and toppled to the ground. He was holding his left leg meaning he was shot in his left leg.

Four tall guys came jogging in and stood around him. I held my breath afraid of what I might see. I didn't want them to see me here who knows what they'll do to me.

One squatted with a blue bandana on his face, looking at all of them, they all had blue bandanas on their faces with hoods on.

"You really thought we wouldn't find you, I told you, you stupid ass bitch I would fucking find you." Said the one squatting. The man on the ground could do nothing but whimper and hold his leg.

"Where the fuck is the money at fool?" Another one said standing up. The man on the ground said nothing. The one who asked the question kicked the man who was on the ground on his head. He cried and held his head.

"Answer the fucking question, what the fuck did you do with the money?" The one squatting snapped at him.

"I-i d-don't k-k-know", The man on the ground stuttered out as he whimpered.

"This nigga lying like hell" One said standing up. He had an accent like italian or something. It sounded... familiar...but where have I heard it?

"I'm bought to beat yo ass in 3.0 seconds if you don't fucking tell me where the fuck my damn money at" The one squatting said.

"3"

"2"

"1-"

"I spent it, I spent it all, I'm sorry, I can pay you back next week I swear I just need t-time" he said.

The guy squatting stood up and aimed a gun at him. I quietly gasped and covered my mouth with my hand.

"Nigga you what!" The one with accent yelled. So familiar....is his name Marco?? No, can't be him.

"I-I'm s-sorry, I r-really am, I'll never do it again I swear please" The man on the ground begged.

"To fucking late for that shit"

POW

The man on the ground stopped moving and was no longer breathing. He was dead. They killed him. I covered my face and tried my hardest not to make a move until they left.

"Search him Marco". The guy with the accent whose name is Marco, squatted down and patted his body, checking his pockets. He stood up a minute later kissing his teeth.

It is him, it is Marco! I can't believe it!. Part of me wanted to run to him, to tell him everything hoping he could help me and protect me like he said months ago, but I was afraid..I was afraid of his reaction and of them. So I stayed put.

"The motherfucker ain't got shit" he said shaking his head.

"Leave him" said the man who shot him said. I'm guessing he's the leader.

"And leave his body here, man, the feds will see this shit and come looking for us they know we the only fucking gang in this damn city by far", Said Marco shaking his head.

I can't believe..they killed someone...over money?. I don't understand.?

"Plus it junkies and homeless folks coming in here I'm pretty sure they'll love to call the police on this shit and tell em it was us", Added another man.

"Aight, shit, well pick him up and dump his ass in that river at the end of this tunnel" The leader said. I started to shake and get scared.

What happens if they see me? What happens if they notice me? Will they shoot me like that guy and dump my body in the river to? All these thoughts racing through my head, I leaned back and my hand hit a glass bottle which rolled and hit another one.

CLANK!

I froze and they stopped talking turning my way. My heart started beating fast again like the monkey in a cage. My hands started sweating. Suddenly Marco walked fast to where I was sitting, he couldn't see me but I could see him. And it was Marco, his eyes...I knew it was him cause of his eyes, they was warm inviting hot chocolate brown, now they're cold and hard. I was scared...

I was frozen, should I run or stay? And risk getting killed?, Run.

I shot up leaving my bookbag and ran straight ahead down another tunnel. I didn't know where I would go but I had to get away before I'm dead.

"Get that kid!", One of them yelled. I heard a series of footsteps all behind me as I ran through the tunnel. Thank God there was no water. I turned another corner and saw a dead end.

"Oh God no please!" I cried. They were getting closer. I jumped onto a pipe hanging out from the wall and stuck my foot in a hole through the wall. There was a little opening at top with a cage over it. Using the hole as my foot support I started hitting the cage hoping it would open. Tears streamed down my face. They were so close. I hit it once more before it bounced open. I used my hands and jumped through and hoisted myself up.

Just then one grabbed my foot and started pulling me. I screamed in the silence of the night.

"Come here you little shit. We just wanna talk to you!", I looked down and locked eyes with him. He froze for a second..Marco..

I screeched loudly and kicked my feet. I guess I must've kicked him in the face because he cursed and my foot was set free.

I ran as fast as I could in the freezing night hoping they'll never catch me.