Chapter 14: Something Wicked

The Adventures of Pocahontas and John Rolfe: Book I

Chapter 14: Something Wicked

John Rolfe immediately yanked his Powhatan lady friend behind him. "Stay away from her, you would-be murderess! I saw what you did during that storm!" the Englishman howled at Nicole in French. Meeko and Percy both growled at the blonde as they stood between her and their human friends. Flit chirped angrily at Nicole.

Siwili gasped and leapt between them, afraid John Rolfe or the animals would attack the girl. "Supé soala cosa to ra dota? Keta! Djahn?" he cried, more confused now than ever.

John Rolfe straightened himself up before his friend. "Not to worry, Siwili. I shan't attack a female. But that doesn't mean I have to like her," he spat, shooting Nicole a dirty look.

"John, she doesn't look like she's in any condition to threaten anyone right now," the Powhatan princess pointed out, peering worriedly over the Englishman's shoulder. She was a little surprised herself at how visceral John Rolfe's anger was. While she was not happy about Nicole's presence either, there was some satisfaction to seeing her in a humbled state. Internally, Pocahontas hoped the girl might have changed for the better after witnessing the horrific disaster resulting from her own nefarious actions.

The two villagers helping Nicole stepped back, stunned by the white man's reaction to a member of his own kind. They tried to avoid confrontation by turning to bring Nicole into the remedial hut, but John Rolfe jumped in the way to stop them. "Wait, wait!" he exclaimed, holding up two hands. "I don't want us to stay in the same house as her. Let me get our things out first." He glanced down at the pug. "Percy, you're on guard dog duty. If she tries anything, turn her legs into mincemeat!" Percy yipped in agreement and continued growling at Nicole. Rolfe glared at her. "I shan't let my guard down around you again, mademoiselle," he snapped in French. "So stay out of our way."

John Rolfe entered the hut and emerged twenty seconds later with Pocahontas's folded pants, boot, and machete. His pockets, he had stuffed with his own possessions. Just then the vainglorious girl passed out from low blood sugar. She slumped, thus forcing the warrior at her side to pick her up and carry her bridal-style. The woman with him looked worried. Rolfe moved to the side and waved for them to bring Nicole inside, which they did. He snorted. "Good riddance," Rolfe grumbled as Siwili took him by the arm.

The warrior beckoned Pocahontas to follow. He led them to his own hut by the riverbank. Awenasa and Aquela were inside sewing by the fire. The latter looked up when they arrived. "Djahn! Pocahontas!" the girl greeted. Siwili pointed to a five-foot-high shelf for them to put their things, indicating they would be staying with his family. Meeko found a basket on the top shelf and curled up inside it for a nap, Flit nesting atop him.

John Rolfe put their belongings where indicated and waved to Aquela as Siwili began explaining what had just transpired to his wife. Awenasa glanced at Rolfe and Pocahontas with a cocked brow, looking just as confused as Siwili had been. The diplomat frowned and turned to Pocahontas. "It's really a pity we can't communicate fully with these people. I feel like I owe them an explanation for my behavior," he lamented. Once they finished talking, Awenasa got up and followed Siwili right out of the hut. Rolfe guessed that she wanted to see the disliked white girl for herself. He plopped down cross-legged by Aquela and sighed, resting his hands on his spread knees. The little girl reached over and patted him on the bicep, which humored the Englishman ever so slightly.

"Are you alright, John?" Pocahontas inquired.

John Rolfe glanced at Pocahontas as she took a seat next to him. "Yes, but we need to talk. I'm not sure if this changes things, but, regardless, I do not intend to repeat my past mistake. I will not let my guard down around Nicole and I ask you to do the same."