Part One

Like any average high school student, each day of my life is almost the same as the last. As I do every morning, I wake up to the sound of an angry alarm clock, pull on a robe, and shuffle downstairs to breakfast in average blue slippers. Even though around this time of year the days get hot, the mornings are still really cold. I have this amazing dad, who sometimes wakes up earlier than me to make me a special breakfast. This morning, he's made me blueberry pancakes. I gratefully thank him, and sit down to eat. By the time I've finished my pancakes, dad is already calling "Goodbye, sweetie!" from the garage door. "Bye dad! See you later!" I yell back. I put my dishes in the dishwasher, and head back upstairs to the bathroom. I brush my teeth, and while I gargle mouthwash, I brush all the tangles out of my bright red hair. After I spit, I look closely at my face in the mirror, examining my complexion. I have prints on my face from wrinkles on my pillow, streaks of pink that will fade sooner or later, and a sprinkle of light freckles on my cheeks. I have blue eyes, with golden rings around the edges of my pupils. When I stare really hard at my eyes, the ring around my left pupil looks thicker than the one around my right pupil. The imbalance has always bothered me a little.

      I head to my room thinking about the funny coloring of my eyes, and while I'm putting clothes on I consider what I might do to my hair. When I return to the bathroom, I've decided to put my hair up in pigtails. I look cute this way, my cheeks are round enough to make this hair style look fitting on me. I head back to my room, pack my backpack with the homework I did last night, grab my keys, and then head for the front door. As I open the front door, I frown at myself, and stomp back up to my room. I stuff my phone in my purse, then dramatically stuff my purse into my backpack. I stomp back down and head out the front door. Feeling silly about being dramatic, I giggle to myself. The drive to school is quiet, so I am left to my thoughts. My mom is a wonderful lady. She's a children's doctor, and once she heard that she could travel to Africa and help out by giving people vaccinations, she jumped at the chance. I worry about her being away, the trip is six months long, and a great deal can happen in six months. But my mom is truly kind to me. She's always pushing me to be kind to people, and to forgive. She always told me to put myself in the other persons shoes, and to justify what they did wrong to me for them. She said that understanding them makes it much easier to forgive a person.

      The school is somewhat empty right now, since I'm a little early. I head towards my locker and pass an odd looking man. He's wearing a nice suit and tie, but doesn't give off a very business-like feeling. Rather, he seems somewhat uncomfortable, like he might be nauseous. I wonder if he has diarrhea or something upsetting his stomach. I understand the pain one can feel in their gut, I always have stomach bugs that make me nauseous. As time passes, more and more people show up. George, a close friend of mine, gives me a high five in greeting. He is taller than me by about a foot and a few inches, I'm a little short for my age I suppose, and he's always nice to me. As boys go though, he can be rough with other boys. I have always thought that he might have a crush on me, but never probed the subject, since I don't want to make him uncomfortable. He runs his hands through his mop of brown curly hair and tells me a joke. I laugh when he fails to deliver the punch line properly, and gently slap his back. The bell rings, and all the students move like clockwork for their first periods. I tell George goodbye, and head off to my first class of today.