Tip 4 - Plotting

Tip #4....plotting.

Obviously, every book needs a solid plot. Whether it be a horror story, a mystery, fantasy, nonfiction...every book needs a base.

Before you start writing, I suggest you pick out a genre beforehand. Really, there's no way you can start writing without classifying your work under a category, but it's best to figure out what kind of writing you would like to start before you begin a plot. It is possible to come up with an idea and then figure out where it falls later, but Wattpad kind of forces you to choose where your story belongs before you can begin writing on their website. Since this is Wattpad, though, it does make sense to figure out what genre you want to write before you brainstorm an idea.

A plot is basically the entire story. Ranging from characters, to the action, to the purpose, and to the ending, all if it should follow something called a storyline. Everything should make sense and go together. There are six points for a basic plot line - exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution.

Here is a breakdown of each of those elements:

Exposition: The beginning of the story. This is where characters and the story's setting and background are introduced to the reader. It's kind of like the first day of school, but for a book - you take in your surroundings and meet new people.

Rising Action: This is where the central conflict is introduced. The conflict is the whole purpose of your story. In a stereotypical Warriors fanfic, this is where the prophecy is introduced. The prophecy begins to have clues as the characters begin to figure out the meaning behind it during the rising action. 

Climax: This is the part where the conflict is figured out. In a Warriors fanfic, the prophecy is fulfilled during this part of the plot. The climax is usually very eventful, and it's the part where the rising action builds up to the point of explosion. Everything comes together, and this is where the conflict concludes.

Falling Action: In the falling action, all loose ends are wrapped up. This is also where the reader gives some kind of sense of what the aftermath of the climax is. Did characters die? This is where you'd put that (unless a character's death is the climax, in the event that the conflict was focused around taking down a character). Basically, what happened after the conflict was concluded? What happened as a result of that? Put it here, in the falling action.

Conclusion: This one is pretty self-explanatory, and it's pretty much what you'd expect. This is the end of the story. If you want to add anything about where your characters will be after the work is finished, this is where you'd put that. This is the reader's last impression of your book, so make your last words count!

Don't rush to the climax of the story too quickly. You want to create suspense, cliffhangers, and just take it at a good pace to keep your readers interested. Many times, this plot format is referred to as a "hill", and you can easily look up pictures of this online (maybe I'll even attach one here at some point).  I just think envisioning it as a hill that you slowly climb up, momentarily are at the top of, and quickly travel down again is an easier way to comprehend it. It's easier to plan out your story with a picture of a hill inside of your head instead of some word a teacher would say.

Who wants to think of school anyways?

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for the lack of updates for this book. Things have been hectic lately and I appreciate you still reading!