(6) Chapter Six (6)

⬛Black◼

I have been watching them. They are getting good. I might actually have a competition.

Ha!

Those powers are as good as mine.

💧Kyra💧

I'm really worried about Black's rising. What will happen? Not even Gramma's force fields can keep us from his nightmares.

Gramma says that if we get hit, our worst nightmare will come true.

That just can't happen!

⚡Austin⚡

Oh, crud.

🐶Zach🐶

We're dead!

💧Kyra💧

We're as good as gone.

❄James❄

I wonder what Black looks like. Who am I kidding, I'll be dead before I can even blink.

🍭Katie🍭

Gumdrops, lollipops, and rainbows, everywhere, just thinking what a life it would to be! Without our gumdrops and lol-lie-pops!

I have to be happy before I die, I don't want to die sad.

☀Karter☀

I wonder what a world without sun looks like... Once I die, Earth will find out.

🌿Chloe🌿

Poor world! Without me, it will be miserable!

🌈Devin🌈

Karter says without me the world will be ugly.

Poor world.

🔥Keaton🔥

Chloe says I'm going to die.

What does that mean?

💗Karen💗

"I've been reading your thoughts," I said. "What's wrong with you all? You're not going to die! You're going to scare Black off! You're going to WIN!"

◼◾Black◾◼

"You're going to scare Black off! You're going to WIN!"

Oh, Karen.

That's simply what you think.

But what I think is MUCH more powerful, for I can also read people's minds.

And your worst fear is that I'm going to win.

Well, just stand still my dear, while I make that beautiful, beautiful dream come true.

💗Karen💗

"And you are strong! And powerful! And Black is wimpy. And-"

I was cut off because something sharp poked me in the back.

Suddenly, the kids' determined faces faded. They looked sulky and unsure again.

"Gram, I know you think we are, but..." James said.

"Black's going to win," Katie moaned.

"Yes, he's powerful, and smart, and... simply much better than us. Much better than you," Kyra cooed.

I gritted my teeth. Black! He'd shot a nightmare at me. He'd made the kids like this! The little-

"Big G, it's just not possible," Austin said. He turned. The last eight followed.

I froze them all.

"Black!" I screamed. "Show yourself!"

He slithered out from the shadows. "At your assistance, Mrs. Jerome," he purred.

I lunged at him. He darted away. "For a 58,000 year-old, you're pretty quick," he said.

He lashed out at me. I ducked. He flicked his disgusting snake-like tongue.

I ran at him once more, and he snaked towards the kids. He grabbed the frozen Kyra.

"See you later!" he cackled. Then he smashed through the ceiling and went out of sight.